Feature req: Copy timestamp from one file and paste it to another (in another dir)?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pxstein
    Fanatic
    • Mar 2009

Feature req: Copy timestamp from one file and paste it to another (in another dir)?

When I compare two directory trees in Folder Compare the correspondig folders and files are listed side by side.

I can set the (last modified) timestamp of a file on the left side to the timestamp of the file on the right by using the context menu "touch....".

Fine.

But what if I want to set the time stamp of a file to the timestamp of a different file in a different directory?

Ok, I could manually adjust the wanted timestamp in "Set timestamp to....".
    But this is very, very, uncomfortable if you have to do this for lets say 23.08.2011 23:58

Can you imagine how many clicks the user need to have the target timestamp?

So what is needed here is a new context menu "Copy timestamp" for a marked file (or folder) which obviously copies the timestamp to clipboard. And a second context menu "Paste timestamp" which pastes the timestamp in clipboard into the currently marked file.

This should be not difficult to implement.

Can you add this in the next release?

Thank you
    Peter
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Thanks for the suggestion. Arbitrary copying and pasting of timestamps is something on our wishlist, and I'll add your notes to our entry on the subject. It is not likely this will make it into the next release of BC4. Our wishlist is not currently scheduled development, but a place our developers go for ideas for future features and enhancements. They'll usually review it when working on a specific section of the program or group a few related items together. There is already quite a bit of scheduled work (other bug fixes and enhancements), even if this particular enhancement looks easy to implement.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• GregM
      Journeyman
      • Oct 2008

Peter, could you temporarily align the two files long enough to copy the timestamp?

Comment

• pxstein
        Fanatic
        • Mar 2009

Hello Greg,

what do you mean with "align" and "Long enough"?

Peter

Comment

• Chris
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

In the Folder Compare, you can right click on a file on the left and select "Align with", then left click on a file on the right. This allows you to align files with different names. After you've forced alignment of the files with different names, you can use "Actions > Touch" to copy timestamps between the files.

Note that Align With only works at the same depth in the folder tree. If files are at different depths, you'll need to use the right click "Set as base folder" command on the folders containing the files so they're at the same depth before you can use the Align With command.
          Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• pxstein
            Fanatic
            • Mar 2009

Hello Chris,

thank you for the suggestions. I will remember them for the future.

However concerning my initial timestamp problem they are not useful since the number of required clicks for my dir tree would be to high.

So copying timestamps by clipboard would be perfect.

Hopefully this would be implemented in one of the next releases.

Thank you
            Peter

Comment

Working...