Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

21529 "Replace with" fails to recognise \x0d as newline...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 21529 "Replace with" fails to recognise \x0d as newline...

... unless "Find what" is set to "Regular expression".

Really!

->

Attempted workaround set "Regular expression" causes crash - see bug report.

Regular Expression must be enabled for the Replace With command to use it. And please update to 4.1.9 for all bug fixes; testing in 4.1.9 worked for me.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
      Regular Expression must be enabled for the Replace With command to use it.
      Indeed. Hence my report.

testing in 4.1.9 worked for me.
      Meaning my "Replace with" fails to recognise \x0d as newline unless "Find what" is set to "Regular expression" does not happen there??

Comment

The Regular Expression toggle is not limited to only the Find With box. It controls whether both boxes support Regular Expressions or are literal text. We're not adding two different toggles for Find and Replace boxes at this time.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

The Regular Expression toggle is not limited to only the Find With [Find What]box.
          Since Regular Expressions are limited to the Find What box, so the toggle should be.

It controls whether both boxes support Regular Expressions or are literal text.
          The non-literal mode of Replace With does not support regular expressions.

"Regular Expressions are a powerful way to define patterns for searching and matching." says the Help, correctly.

Replacement is something else.

The failing Replace With value \x0D<td> is not a regular expression.

In labelling and the positioning, this button fails to indicate that it affects the interpretation Replace With value. And I can find no mention of this Replace With in the Help.

And actually no mention of the /x syntax either, so perhaps I deserve any undefined behaviour I get!

Please pass on my suggestion that, if it is really intended that engaging Regular Expressions in Find What is the only way to get hex codes in Find What, clarification on the UI is needed.

Comment

You are using Regular Expressions to perform an Escape Sequence to insert a hex code, as documented in our Regular Expression Samples Help article:

\xnn
            character with the hex code nn

\x{nnnn}
            character with the hex code nnnn

Hex Codes cannot be inserted without the regular expression escape.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
            X