X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Guy_S
    New User
    • Oct 2016

Ignore COBOL line number changes

We are evaluating BC as part of a client's DevOps initiative.

I'm trying to get Beyond Compare to ignore COBOL line number changes using the "Ignore Unimportant Differences" functionality. I've read some other posts on this particular subject and followed the process to the best of my understanding (I'm a BC newbie), but I'm still not getting it.

I have unchecked "Line Number" on the "Importance" tab of the Text Compare (I'm using the "COBOL Source" Grammar).

In the comparison View I have selected the "Ignore unimportant differences".

I was expecting this to ignore the line number differences only but instead it appears to make BC ignore ALL differences.

Can someone set me straight on how to get the desired effect?
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

If you click the cursor into a section of text, the detected Grammar element the cursor is in is shown in the bottom status bar. It sounds like your current grammar is misconfigured and is swallowing up your entire file? You will likely need to update your RegEx so it does not match on the entire line (which, clicking elsewhere on the line will let you know if it is matching where it shouldn't).

If you are still having trouble, we'll need example files and your current BCSupport.zip emailed to [email protected] so we can recreate your comparison. Please include a link back to this forum thread and a full screen screenshot of the sample files; that'll help us more quickly reproduce the issue and help you with the syntax or setting change needed.

For reference for others setting up unimportance and finding this thread, you can follow the steps in this video to define a File Format's grammar element, and then mark it as unimportant in the Text Compare's Session Settings.
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo..._unimportantv3
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...