Using BC to copy and move?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using BC to copy and move?

Are there special setting to be used when you want to use BeyondCompare for copying / moving files instead of doing it with the Windows copy and move function? Respectively, what is the easiest way to use BC for it?

Hello,

We have a Copy and Move command in our Folder Compare (Actions menu or Right click selection). These work with the same core function as Explorer to provide the most compatibility. These are the only commands we provide. Were you looking for an alternate program to transfer files? What problem are you seeing with Explorer or BC4?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Hello Aaron,

Thank you.

Alright, so I could just use these copy and move commands in "Folder Compare".

Were you looking for an alternate program to transfer files?
      Yes, I was and I am, actually. But I cannot cope with any (e.g. TeraCopy, CopyHandler, FastCopy, SuperCopier) of them at all. I cannot get them to work (properly). Do you know another program I could try?

Well, somehow since I use Win I have problems / glitches / inconveniences with transferring files and folders, especially to transfer much data, for example 100 GB, 1 TB.

What problem are you seeing with Explorer or BC4?
      I would not say I have a problem with BC, it is not a "copy program" (like e.g. FastCopy). For much data I only use Sync-programs and I never "move" (much data), first copy, then delete the source data (actually you can call it "move"), transferring data is too error prone (with me) on Win. When moving data with Win, it partially moves a file and deletes the transferred part - as far as I know - instead of copying the entire file and then delete the source file, if the process is interrupted / fails the file is corrupt. And I use trashy Win 10. Even the displayed transfer information are senseless, for instance they do not show the source (if I remember it right) on Win 7 at least an I assume on Win 10 also. And checking data by content or checksum is not that easy and takes a long time.

By the way, after having imported sessions, workspaces, tool bars / buttons to BC4 from BC4 (so exported before from BC4) and after closing and starting it they are gone. Is there a way to always keep them?
      Last edited by Donk; 17-Oct-2016, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Hello,

Robocopy is another transfer method you might want to look into.

As for missing settings, that sounds like you have a Portable Install in a read only location. Did you install to Program Files? Is there a BCState.xml in the install directory? That would indicate a portable install in the read-only Program Files\.

You can back up current settings or just delete BCState.xml. Next launch should auto-generate your settings in your user's %AppData% directory, and any imports should then be remembered.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Hello Aaron.

Robocopy is another transfer method you might want to look into.
          Yes, but is it a command line program, only, if I am right, without GUI and there are quite a lot commands to know, I assume.

As for missing settings, that sounds like you have a Portable Install in a read only location
          Yes, indeed, it is a portable version. How could I make the file / the location writable?

Did you install to Program Files?
          No, I installed to an external hdd, I:.

Is there a BCState.xml in the install directory?
          No, there isn't.

You can back up current settings or just delete BCState.xml. Next launch should auto-generate your settings in your user's %AppData% directory, and any imports should then be remembered.
          On C:
          Can it be generated on I:?

Comment

Hello,

A Portable Install, if selected during the setup.exe wizard, you'd have a BCState.xml in the install directory. I'd suggest re-running the installer and re-installing with the Portable Install option to I:\Beyond Compare 4\. Is I:\ an external USB drive, or a NAS Device or mapped network drive?
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Hello Aaron,

Thank you.

Yes, I had tried that before without success.

It is an external USB drive.

Comment

Hello,

A Portable Install is expected to create and place the BCState.xml into the Install directory. Are you reporting that you are not seeing this behavior when you re-run the setup.exe and select "Portable Install" during the wizard prompt?
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Hello Aaron,

No, no, there is such a file created.

Comment

Please back up your current settings (Tools menu -> Export) if needed, then uninstall BC4. Please double check to verify the Beyond Compare 4\ folder you currently have is empty and delete it. Then run the Setup.exe and create the Portable Install to a blank/new location. Does this create the BCState.xml for you?
                    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
                    X