Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unattended install of BC4 with License key (MSI)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unattended install of BC4 with License key (MSI)

I am using Microsoft SCCM to deploy BC4 Std using the MSI installer.

my installation package is a standard MSI based deployment and i have the MSI file and BC4Key.txt file in the application package, so when the MSI is run BC4Key is in the same folder as the MSI

unfortunately it is deploying this in tria mode not licensed.

is there a switch for the MSI installer to force the use of a license key? perhaps a KEY=xxxxxx or TRANSFORMS=yyy.mst (inc. key)

thanks guys

Hello,

If you have our downloaded MSI and BC4Key.txt (containing your key) in the same directory, running the MSI will automatically use the .txt to register the install. Did you pack your own MSI or use ours?
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/downl...4_winalternate
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Hello

I am also experiencing this issue. I am using PDQ Deploy from Admin Arsenal to deploy. I have downloaded BCompare-4.1.9.21719_x64.msi and the additional file is BC4Key.txt

When users open Beyond Compare they are in trial mode.

Regards

Comment

Hello,

We have not tested with PDQ Deploy. Does this run a command line, script, or repackage to execute? If you execute the MSI from Windows directly with BC4Key.txt in the same directory, does this register for the user?

Update:
        If you copy BC4Key.txt into the install directory (for all users) or into the user's %AppData%\Scooter Software\Beyond Compare 4\ this will also register the user.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

I believe that PDQ will push the software to a tmp folder and then run the silent install command. I have it that it pushes the .msi and the .txt file as well so the .txt is in same folder when installing.
          If I try to copy the .txt to %AppData%\Scooter Software\Beyond Compare 4\ this folder only exists after the user open beyond compare ?

I will get PDQ to copy to the Install directory as this folder will exist.

Thanks.

Comment

That would work. You can also create the directory path to the %AppData% location manually. If it exists before the first launch with the key inside, that wouldn't trigger an error.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Made this script, to upgrade BC3 to BC4, with MSI installer and license file using SCCM 2012R2:

$ScriptFolder = Split-Path -Path $MyInvocation.MyCommand.Definition -Parent
              $MSIPath = $ScriptFolder+"\BCompare-4.1.9.21719_x64.msi"

#Uninstall Beyond Compare 3 if installed
              If (Test-Path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Beyond Compare 3\unins000.exe'){
              Start-Process 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Beyond Compare 3\unins000.exe' "/VERYSILENT /NORESTART" -Wait}

#Install Beyond Compare 4
              $Key = $ScriptFolder+"\bc4key.txt"
              $KeyDestination = "C:\Program Files\Beyond Compare 4"
              if (!(Test-Path -path $KeyDestination)) {New-Item $KeyDestination -Type Directory}
              Copy-Item -Path $Key -Destination $KeyDestination -Force
              Start-Process 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\MsiExec.exe' "/i $MSIPath /q /norestart" -wait

Comment

Working...
              X