X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johnwall
    started a topic Default BC4 finds files windows explorer doesn't

Default BC4 finds files windows explorer doesn't

I posted this in the BC3 thread. sorry so this is a repeat of that thread....

Hi
    I have a directory on my c: drive that I keep backed up on an external drive. When I look at the directory on the c: drive in windows I see 10 items/files. When I look at the same folder in BC4 I see 14 files. All files are .doc .pdf .docx .pptx no system or hidden files. I've gone through the windows folder view and as best as I can tell I have all the options turned on for windows to show all the files in the directory.

I'm on windows 7. BC4 Version 4.1.8 (build 21575)

Any suggestions on what has happened to the files. They are not "hidden".

John

• Aaron
    replied
    That sounds like a bug with Box that was fixed by freshly installing the latest version. Glad you were able to get it all working.

Leave a comment:

• johnwall
    replied
    Hi
    Well the following what I did and it has seemed to resolve this issue. Somewhat surpised except for the fact that I deleted all box content, this is the same this I did before.

THANKS!

1. backup
    2. uninstall box tools (edit and sync) same package if I remember correctly.
    3. saw that all the box related folders were not deleted.
    4. make sure they were backedup
    5. deleted them
    6. I forget if I rebooted before deleting these directories or not. But I am pretty sure I reboot a couple time before I did the box tools reinstall
    7. reinstalled box tools downloading from website
    8. set all the settings for box sync waited for sync to finished
    9. rebooted
    10. checked directories with BC and explorer. everything looked ok.
    11. started restoring from backups, the files that box was missing. This is what I was expecting to do after I did the reinstall.

Leave a comment:

• Aaron
    replied
    After performing a backup of any important content in these problem directories, I think the next step might be to uninstall Box and reboot. We're listing files that aren't System/Hidden, and something else seems to be injecting itself and hiding the files from Explorer (but doesn't know about us, so it's not trying to hide them from us, too). Box is the most likely culprit, since it's a Box managed location, but it's potentially another application on your system, too.

Leave a comment:

• johnwall
    replied
    all these things work. the screen shots I showed of the properties above where using bc explorer properties in that post I noted that I could open copy and email the document from BC.

Leave a comment:

• ZoŽ
    replied
    Can you use the Actions->Explorer submenu in Beyond Compare to manipulate them? If so, what does the "Properties" dialog show if you launch it from there? What about Actions->Open With->Associated Application? Assuming it opens in Word, what does Word show if you then use the "Save As" command?

Leave a comment:

• johnwall
    replied
    yes.... Box has no answers... The same files that windows doesn't see box doesn't either. In other words Box and windows see the same things. Only BC sees something different. Can copy etc.

Leave a comment:

• Aaron
    replied
    Is the Explorer location under control from the Box app? That may be doing something odd with its own versioning to hide 'old' versions of files.

Leave a comment:

• johnwall
    replied
    two screenshots BC4 folder compare
    and explorer compare
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• RodolfoGiovanninetti
    replied
    I meant a screen shot with the folder comparison, with the names of "strange" files.

Regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

Leave a comment:

• johnwall
    replied
    yes BC copies the files. Yes using BC I can open them and I can send them by email through BC.
    Learning a lot about all the things BC can do

Leave a comment:

• johnwall
    replied
    Here are a couple jpg with two file option screenshots.

The only missing bit is the search option setting.

Windows 10.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• RodolfoGiovanninetti
    replied
    I am just curious, but can You show here a screen shot?
    Maybe somebody else will notice something strange...
    Also, what happens if You copy these additional files toward Your external disk?
    Does B.C. copy them?
    Or it throws an error message?

Regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

Leave a comment:

• johnwall
    replied
    Hi
    I reviewed windows folder options and made sure they applied to all folders. I turned on a couple options to show hidden files and systems files. Didn't change anything in windows explorer or CMD. I changed the "a" using BC4. didn't change CMD or Explorer. I can open, email he file from BC4/explorer. I used BC4 to change to owner from administrator to my account. No change....

Leave a comment:

• Aaron
    replied
    Hello,

You should review your Windows Folder Options to see if any are configured to hide these items. If you alter the (a) attribute using BC4, does this change the visibility in Explorer/CMD Prompt?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X