My wish-list: in compare contents show more information (also in log).

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RodolfoGiovanninetti
    Veteran
    • Oct 2007

My wish-list: in compare contents show more information (also in log).

When I do a binary folder comparison, I would like to see some new features.
    I attach here an example.
    First, in the resulting dialog box it should show a more detailed report.
    Now, it shows files that are same, left orphan, right orphan, or different.
    But it does not say why they are different.
    So, in my opinion the "different" part should be divided into "left newer", "right newer", "just different" and so on.
    Also, it should show not only the situation of files, but also of directories, such as it does in the graphic way.
    Also, I would like to see the result of comparison in the log, so that I can go back and see what the result was even after that I have closed (many time by mistake) the dialog box.

Thank You very much and regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti
    Attached Files
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

The Info dialog is a useful summary of the scan, but the items you are asking for are tools found in the general interface. Once you run the scan, the binary results populate in the center column, and you can then use the Display Filters to limit the view and preview the file criteria you are searching for. What workflow are you following? Would dismissing or not generating the preview dialog, and then using the main Folder Compare view work for you?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• RodolfoGiovanninetti
      Veteran
      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Aaron
      Hello,

The Info dialog is a useful summary of the scan, but the items you are asking for are tools found in the general interface. Once you run the scan, the binary results populate in the center column, and you can then use the Display Filters to limit the view and preview the file criteria you are searching for. What workflow are you following? Would dismissing or not generating the preview dialog, and then using the main Folder Compare view work for you?
      No, as I wrote in my message I would like to see a more detailed report in the pop up window that show the comparison results. Different windows have different meanings and different uses. For example, in the main window there is not the number for each category (same, newer, orphan and so on). So I stay with my wish list. A more detailed pop up with results, and the same info in the log.

Thank You again and results

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

While not as categorized, you can activate the appropriate Display Filters (or Toggle combination for any custom filter), Edit menu -> Expand All; Edit -> Select All Files. This will give a file count of the respective filter in the bottom status bar of each pane. Or using the Session menu -> Folder Compare Report -> Layout: Summary will also give file counts.

The Results dialog is meant to give a quick overview of the comparison scan that just occurred, but isn't designed to be a new comparison window itself. Since it is an optional dialog, we would want to be sure any information it could provide can also be obtained in the main view. Enhancing the Results dialog to make it more informative is a good wishlist item, but it shouldn't have information the main interface couldn't provide.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• RodolfoGiovanninetti
          Veteran
          • Oct 2007

I stay with my wish-list, especially the part related to writing detailed information to the log, so that I can read it later.
          Anyway, it is just my wish-list, I understand that You have to consider different points of views.

Regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

Comment

Working...