Binary compare ignoring filenames?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Binary compare ignoring filenames?

Can BC4 find all of the files in two folders, or in the same folder for that matter, whose contents are identical whether or not their filenames are the same?

This sounds more like a task for a de-duplicator than for BC. I actually have a need for this, but also between directories; however I just wrote my own tool to do it (which is very limited in function.)

Comment

Originally posted by norrisg View Post
      This sounds more like a task for a de-duplicator than for BC. I actually have a need for this, but also between directories; however I just wrote my own tool to do it (which is very limited in function.)
      Why is it not a task for BC? Is it not a "compare" task and is the name not Beyond Compare?

There are quite a number of duplicate file finders. But I am familiar with BC, so before I go research yet another tool, I thought I'd see if BC can do the job. It seems like a simple task. You sort the files by size, then do the compare on the contents on any that are the same size. Since there are so many duplicate file finder tools, it must be something that a lot of people need. If that is true, it ought to boost sales of BC. I know it would get me to upgrade to Version 4.

Otherwise, maybe they should change the name to MC (Mostly Compare).

Comment

De-duplicate scanning is something on our wishlist, but is not supported in the current version. There is other software on the market where this is the sole, primary task. We do not have a specific one to recommend, but searching for "duplicate file finder" or "de-duplicate folder" might help. Adding this support is also in our wishlist as a potential future feature, but is not currently scheduled development.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Free - Nirsoft SearchMyFiles - Duplicates Search

Comment

Working...
          X