Open patch viewer from command line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open patch viewer from command line

I'd like to open patch/diff files in Beyond Compare through the command line. TortoiseGit allows me to select an external tool for viewing patch files. I've integrated BC for diff, image diff and merge already and it's so much better than the default tools that come with Tortoise programs.

What's the command line parameter to open the patch viewer? I can't find it in the documentation or the web.

Hello,

We haven't added the command to the documentation yet as we aren't settled on the best implementation, but we do have a couple methods in the release version of BC4.1.6:
    bcompare.exe /fv="Text Patch" %file1

or if you use bcompare.exe %file1 and pass either a .patch or .diff file, it will also automatically open in the Patch Viewer.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks. Please let me know when there's a stable method for that so I can update my configuration tool. I thought there would be some /patch switch to make clear that it's a patch file.

Comment

The /fv method will likely remain stable. I'd recommend using that configuration.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Hm, the following command, invoked through the TortoiseGit log view, opens a text compare view with the patch file on the left side and nothing on the right side:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Beyond Compare 4\BCompare.exe" /fv="Text Patch" "C:\Users\yves\AppData\Local\Temp\TortoiseGit\PatD E2F.tmp"

Doesn't seem to work. And it doesn't have the usual file extensions.

Comment

Hello,

If you double check the title bar of the program (same bar that contains the minimize and Close 'X' buttons), does it say "Text Compare" or "Text Patch"? A Text Patch command line call that is passed a file with syntax errors and fails to load looks visually similar to a Text Compare session, but is actually a Text Patch view.

It's working as expected with my own tests using the latest 4.1.6, calling manually from the Windows Command Line.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

The title bar says "Textvergleich" (probably Text compare).

Comment

Thanks. Looking into this, the German version is using translated names (in contrast to our documentation). We're going to work on a fix for this. In the meantime, you can use "Text-Patch", but this will possibly change in a future release.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Alright, the other name works for me now. I'm looking forward to a universal parameter for this.

Comment

The /fv and /fileviewer= switches are fixed in translated versions of Beyond Compare 4.1.7 to use the documented English phrases instead of translated phrases, i.e. /fv="Text Compare" instead of /fv="Textvergleich" in the German version of BC.
                    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
                    X