Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Excluding folders named ".comments" along with their contents (an XML file)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excluding folders named ".comments" along with their contents (an XML file)?

Hello, I'm new to the forum. Thanks for this; it will be nice to find a solution.

Was wondering if there was a way to 'permanently' exclude folders labelled ".comments" in one of the scans that I'll do repeatedly?

My media player leaves them here and there containing an XML file that I'm guessing tells my media player where I am in terms of last played. So I don't want to delete these folders, but I don't need them to appear.

I keep a main portable drive that I attach to the player and a larger, backup one where I put all those files plus backups of my PC. BC4 will be the perfect choice if there was a way to somehow automatically exclude these folders and their contents without doing it manually each time.

Is there a way to do that, by any chance?

Thanks!

Hello,

Yes, this can be done for all future Folder Compare sessions, or you can save a specific session. If you launch your compare, you can then go to the Session menu -> Session Settings, Name Filters tab (or the Filters button on the toolbar). Here you'll see 4 options: Include files, Exclude files, Include folders, Exclude folders.

You can then add to the Exclude Folders box:
    .\...\.comments

where:
    .\ starts at the base level
    ...\ any number of subfolders
    .comments is the name of your folder

This can apply for the current view, or you can use the dropdown at the bottom of the screen to Also update session defaults. Alternatively, you can make this same change on the Home screen, in the saved Sessions list, in the New folder, there is the "Folder Compare" (default) session. Edits here are applied to any new Folder Compare sessions; any previously saved sessions would also need to be updated.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
    X