X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion: Empty Folder with Right-Click from Folder-Comparison

Hello,
    two suggestions for Beyond Compare (in separate threads):

Add a right-click menue to folder view to empty selected folder directly from the folder-view instead of opening folder, selecting all files, deleting.

Usage:
    I have several security cams that are writing foto and video to different folder (two each). When no incidents have happened when I come home I want to empty all folders without looking at them.
    Same for temporary folders which I'm scanning for size and want to delete their content, but not the folder.

I know it's possible (and probably easier) to do this with a script (been there done that), however I still think it's a useful feature to have in the GUI, too.

Thanx in advance
    Free 575

Hello,

Due to the potential destructiveness of this command, we would want to enforce a valid user selection before processing a Delete. For minimum user interaction, you can set a File Name Filter in a Saved Session (named something like "Temp Cam Folders to Delete") to only show the temp folders. Then use the Edit menu -> Expand All, and Edit menu -> Select All Files (both buttons also on the toolbar for two quick clicks). This would theoretically leave you with a selection of just files in the Temp folders, which you can then Delete. All 3 commands can also have keyboard shortcuts assigned, for quick execution.

This would also be possible in script, but would require the same File Name Filter to limit the view to only the folders you want to empty. If you need help defining the filter, please let us know. A screenshot of the folder structure in the Folder Compare would help us define a File Name mask. You can post here or email us at support@scootersoftware.com with a link back to this forum thread.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Hello Aaron,
      thanx for the suggestion with 'expand all' and 'select all files' Wasn't even aware of the difference between 'select all' (ctrl+A which I use daily) and 'select all files' (shift+ctrl+A) as I usually use keyboard shortcuts in my daily work and rarely check the menues for entries I never used
      This mostly covers my needs for this functionality, though it is two clicks more, but I can live with that instead of going through single folders to delete only their content. Filter is not necessary - the cam-folders are all subfolders of one major cam-folder.
      Attached a screenshot with your suggestion:
      on the left all my cam-folders on the NAS drive - on the right the same folders on my PC drive with the pictures I want to save (including a subfolder of a weasel (Marder) I caught on cam last night)
      So 'expanding all folders' will be quite a lot bigger than this sample (several thousand pictures per folder) but with 'select all files' that's OK as I don't have to go through single folders any more. Clicking Del and unchecking the right side (wouldn't want to delete the weasel ) will then only leave the files on the left side to delete.
      Of course there's one tiny hiccup: if I forget to uncheck the right side, my weasel will be gone so it's the same 'destructiveness' as deleting folder content with confirmation - the confirmation does require me to understand what I'm doing and not clicking blindly
      So thanx for the suggestion and looking forward to future versions of BC
      Free 575
      PS: I already had that set up with scripting but switching between app and script was a bother - not to mention that I had to enter parameters which folders to empty, as I don't always want to empty all folders (e.g. if some were not reviewed yet), so I gave up on the scripting as impractical ... the last part (only emptying reviewed folders) would still be a candidate for my suggestion, however I understand your reservations about destructive user interaction and that scenario is not on my daily plate
      Attached Files

Comment

Update:
        'select single left' will leave my right side saved copies in peace, so I don't accidentally delete them ...

Comment

Hello,

A couple of tips which might help:
          In the Session Settings, you can mark the Right side as read only in the Session menu -> Session Settings, Specs tab and check Disable Editing.
          Also, after the Select All Files, you can use Shift+Arrow keys to 'slide' the selection to only the side you want to delete, to help prevent accidentally deleting the wrong side.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Hello Aaron,
            thanx for the Tips - always glad to learn new tricks of the trade

- Session Settings read only does not work for me as I occasionally want to copy MotionDetection pictures to the right side (like the weasle) - allow add but not delete would be nice, however I guess we'd have to go with folder permissions down that road?

- Shift+Arrow I already new about but I have a quirk in the way I work: keyboard short-cuts get ingrained (no active thinking) and they mostly work (however sometimes I forget - once bitten twice shy) - pop-up windows and clicking forces me to think about what I'm doing, so I remember 'don't delete' ... however in general that's one of my favorite features in BC that I can do everything with a shortcut and even assign my own

Is it possible to save the 'select single left' in the session settings? It get's reset every time I do a different compare ...
            Thanx
            Free 575

Comment

Hello,

No, but you could disable both by default, in the Options dialog, File Operations section: "Confirm Delete" -> "Require explicit selection in Delete dialog". This disables both, and then you need to click Left or use Alt+L to quick select the option.
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

That's a good option to make sure the right side is safe - Thanx Aaron

Comment

Working...
                X