Upgrading from BC 2.5.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading from BC 2.5.2

I have been using BC for a long time. I probably use it almost every day and depend on it to keep a lot of things in sync. I see the notices to upgrade and have been meaning to do so, but I am always wary of upgrading software because I never know what they will do to the UI or what features I depend on will be removed or changed in some annoying way.

Can I install the trial version of BC4 without affecting my BC2 installation in any way whatsoever?

Can I run BC4 and BC2 side by side so I can decide whether to upgrade permanently?

Is there a summary anywhere of the changes and, especially, the incompatibilities?

Thanks

Hello,

You can install BC4 without removing or altering BC2 on Windows. They install to different locations and store settings in different locations.

You can run them side by side, as well.

The best resource may be this collection of BC2 -> BC3 videos:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/features.php?zz=v3videos
    The interface is slightly different in BC3 -> BC4, but many of the concepts are the same and these videos would help the transition.

*Please note that Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft and is a potential security vulnerability. I would suggest researching the issue to decide how you want to proceed.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
      Hello,

You can install BC4 without removing or altering BC2 on Windows. They install to different locations and store settings in different locations.

You can run them side by side, as well.
      If they are both installed, what do I see in the drop-down menu when I right-click on a file or folder? Which version gets run if I click on "Select left side to compare"?

Comment

You can disable one or the other with:

BC2 : Tools menu -> Options dialog, General: disable "Include Beyond Compare in Explorer context menu"
        BC4: Tools menu -> Options dialog, Startup: enable"Include Beyond Compare in Explorer context menu"
        Or vice versa, then reboot your machine.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
          You can disable one or the other with:

BC2 : Tools menu -> Options dialog, General: disable "Include Beyond Compare in Explorer context menu"
          BC4: Tools menu -> Options dialog, Startup: enable"Include Beyond Compare in Explorer context menu"
          Or vice versa, then reboot your machine.
          OK, thanks.

What will I see if both are enabled? Will I be able to tell which is which?

Comment

You can see BC2 and BC4's simultaneously, but not BC3 and BC4's. The icons differ slightly, but it's easier to disable one entirely.

If you are working from Explorer, you can also always Drag and Drop onto a BC2/BC4 empty pane or screen to load the dragged file or folder onto that side. It's about as quick as using the right-click menu, and does not require the context to be enabled.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
            X