X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SteveRodkey
    Visitor
    • Jun 2013

Comparing Excel Files with Macros

I would like very much to be able to compare Excel files that contain macros and be able to identify differences in the macros. When I compare Excel files, it seems to compare the spreadsheet, but I see no mention of the macros. Is there a way to do this? So far the only way I have found is to export the macros and compare the vb files created. This is rather cumbersome.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Would you want to compare the VBA macro code? If so, we do have an additional download on the BC3 File Format page which can compare this code in the Text Compare. Download it here, by searching for Excel:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/downl..._moreformatsv3

You will also need to Trust the execution in Excel's Preferences dialog, Trust Center section, Trust Center Settings...:
    Macro Settings, and "Trust access to the VBA project object model"

The topmost format in the Tools menu -> File Formats dialog is the one used automatically for all files of that extension. I would recommend installing the VBA format, then moving it lower in the list until it is below the old default. That way, the old default is used automatically in context menu/rules-based scan cases, but if you open a Text Compare session first and then your files, it would use this new format.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...