My wish-list: skip useless scanning of sub-directories.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RodolfoGiovanninetti
    Veteran
    • Oct 2007

My wish-list: skip useless scanning of sub-directories.

I have a "issue" that I cannot always reproduce.
    Also, it is possible that I already wrote about this, sorry if this is a duplicate.
    I use folder comparison, for example "C:\Left\" and "F:\Right\", that I chose as base folders.
    On both sides, I have the same structure, for example, a sub-folder "A" and inside it some other sub-folders.
    For example,
    C:\Left\A\1 and F:\Right\A\1
    C:\Left\A\2 and F:\Right\A\2
    C:\Left\A\3 and F:\Right\A\3
    I choose "Expand All" and so I see all folders sizes and I see that they are the same, at least based on dates and sizes, so everything is black.
    Now, I choose "A" on both sizes and I choose "Set as Base Folders".
    Now, sub-folders "1", "2" and "3" go back to yellow, and their sizes disappear (as I said, I cannot reproduce).
    Instead, I would like to see previous data, in my opinion B.C. already knows their sizes and already knows that they are the same.
    Is it possible to add this to the wish-list?

Thank You and regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

What you probably would like to configure is on the Home screen, in the New folder, select the default Folder Compare and in the Handling tab enable "Automatically scan top-level orphan subfolders".

When you select new base folders, we reload the comparison. If the comparison is configured to scan a subset of items, then that part is what is scanned. By default we do not normally automatically scan top level orphan folders, since they are known to be orphans without needing to spend the resources to expand/scan them. If you enable this option, we will automatically scan all folders as you open any folder comparison, in order to show all of the relevant size information.

We would trigger a refresh as we reloaded the comparison with new base folders, so we'll need to re-gather the size information anyway.

Does enabling this option help get you the behavior you would like, where we always scan and show size information?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• RodolfoGiovanninetti
      Veteran
      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Aaron
      Does enabling this option help get you the behavior you would like, where we always scan and show size information?
      No, I always disable this option, it takes too much time, I want to scan sub-folders only when/if I wish.

Originally posted by Aaron
      We would trigger a refresh as we reloaded the comparison with new base folders, so we'll need to re-gather the size information anyway.
      This is what I mean. Please, when I select sub-folders as new bases, please do not refresh, since You are already aware of them and You already know information about these that were sub-folders and that now become the main ones. You already know that they are the same (or that there are differences and which differences there are) and You already know their sizes. I do understand that if I go to completely different folders You have to refresh. But, You should consider as a special case these set sub-folders as base folders.

Thank You again and regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello Rodolfo,

We can consider this, but even if we know what the sizes of specific folders, loading new base targets and keeping those sizes but not knowing other folder sizes that had not been scanned would have to then scan for those sizes. If sizes have changed, the older folders would have out of date information while the newly scanned folders would have new information, leading to a bad comparison.

By refreshing when we load new base folders, it ensures that all items in the comparison are showing the correct stats for the time of the load.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...