• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbachran
    New User
    • Oct 2015

Explorer Menu broken as of 4.1

Hello Folks,

I upgraded to Beyond Compare 4.1 today only to recognize that Windows Explorer Menu within Beyond Compare (BC) is not showing all entries: We use ClearCase as Version Control System at my company and I am using BC to diff/synchronize folders within ClearCase Views. After upgrading to BC 4.1 today I was no longer able to access ClearCase actions (as Checkout/Checkin) from the Explorer Menu within BC. Only after reverting back to BC 4.0 this is working again.

With BC 4.1 I also got an error message when trying to configure a ClearCase dynamic view for the version control interface within BC. So I was not able to do my work anymore until I downgraded to BC4.0 again.

Does anyone experience similar issues?
    Any ideas on how to resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance,
    Daniel :-)
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

BC 4.1 is now a 64bit application, and this appears to have some issues with some Clearcase installs. If you can email in with a link back to this forum thread, we will be investigating this next week.

In the meantime, the workaround is to install a Portable Install of BC 4.1.1 to a directory with read/write access, such as C:\Tools\Beyond Compare 4 Portable\ and pick 32bit as the install type.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• dbachran
      New User
      • Oct 2015

Thanks for the quick response, Aaron.

I mailed your support as requested. Have a nice week-end.

ciao, daniel :-)

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

I followed up with dbachran by email, but here's more information for anyone following this thread.

Older versions of ClearCase are 32-bit only, and they won't display a shell extension in 64-bit Explorer or the Explorer menu in 64-bit Beyond Compare (4.1 or newer).

The ClearCase technote 64-bit Windows Explorer is not displaying ClearCase menus states that 64-bit Explorer shell extension support was added in newer versions of ClearCase. If you don't see ClearCase listed in 64-bit Beyond Compare's Explorer menu, then you should update your version of ClearCase or contact ClearCase support to make sure you have a 64-bit shell extension installed.

If you're unable to update to a version of ClearCase that provides a 64-bit shell extension, then a workaround is to go back to Beyond Compare 4.0.7, the newest version that installed a 32-bit executable on 64-bit Windows. Email [email protected] if you need a download link for the older installer.
        Last edited by Chris; 02-Oct-2015, 01:37 PM.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

In addition to Chris' notes, another workaround is to create a Portable Install of BC 4.1 using the setup.exe. During the setup wizard, select Portable install (which has an option for 32bit or 64bit; select 32bit). Select an install location where you have read/write access, such as C:\Tools\Beyond Compare 4 Portable\.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...