Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

19761 FC "No version information"

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 19761 FC "No version information"

    Why is BC saying "No verison information" of a DLL in systems32?

    http://i.imgur.com/w61Dio3.png

    But not for the same DLL copied to another folder.

  • #2
    Unknown. I am able to navigate and read that file with version information in the original Windows directory. My guess is the file is currently in use or another software (antivirus, or similar) is blocking the initial read on the C:\Windows\System32 dll. Once copied into a non-working directory on your machine, it is then able to load.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Aaron View Post
      My guess is the file is currently in use or another software (antivirus, or similar) is blocking the initial read on the C:\Windows\System32 dll. Once copied into a non-working directory on your machine, it is then able to load.
      Since there's no block sufficient to prevent the copy or to prevent BC reading the PE header, how can there be a block sufficient to prevent BC reading the version info?

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm uncertain. As I mention, on my own machine I can open and compare the file fine within the C:\Windows\System32 directory, where you are having trouble. Do you have other systems to test on to see if you can access the file on other systems?
        Aaron P Scooter Software

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Aaron View Post
          I'm uncertain.
          I seen no uncertainty. Just an explanation that makes no sense.

          Originally posted by Aaron View Post
          Do you have other systems to test on to see if you can access the file on other systems?
          No. Do you?

          Comment


          • #6
            Chris, it appears to be something specific to your system. I have multiple test systems and none of them have issues with loading c:\windows\system32\drmv2clt.dll into the Version Compare.

            Does a reboot help? Please disable your antivirus or any other software running that might be interacting with the file.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Aaron View Post
              Does a reboot help?
              When I can afford a reboot, I'll let you know.

              Originally posted by Aaron View Post
              Please disable your antivirus or any other software running that might be interacting with the file.
              Antivirus is disabled. How am I supposed to find out what other software running might be interacting with the file?

              Comment


              • #8
                It's a troubleshooting step. You can use programs like Process Monitor to try and find if there's a link to another process, but it's often easier and quicker to reboot and disable anything you think might be running.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                  It's a troubleshooting step. You can use programs like Process Monitor to try and find if there's a link to another process, but it's often easier and quicker to reboot and disable anything you think might be running.
                  I think the fact BC is showing the PE Header and not showing the version info from the same file indicates the cause is not some other process locking the file for reading.

                  Anyway I have now upgraded to 20615 (despite that I really didn't want to change BC in the middle of this project) and the problem is gone. I'll post if it recurs.

                  Thanks. And thanks for the listed improvements in this version.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X