How do I compare .xlsm files?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I compare .xlsm files?

When I try to compare *.xlsm files, all BC4 does is display garbage characters.
    I notice the same behavior on BC3 as well.

What do I need to do to actually compare these files?

Hello,

Both BC3 and BC4 should include a default Excel format for opening these files in the Data/Table Compare. Here they would display the files. If you attempted to open an Excel file in another view, such as the Text Compare, then it would appear as binary gibberish, since the file is a binary format and not plain text.

If you open the file in the Data or Table Compare, does this work for you? In BC4, you can revert to factory default settings using the Tools menu.

We do have additional downloads to help view the file in the Text Compare, if that is needed. You can download them from our website. You would want the MS Excel Workbooks format with the white/text icon to open Excel in our Text Compare session type:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/downl..._moreformatsv4
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Compare .xlsm files

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
      Hello,

Both BC3 and BC4 should include a default Excel format for opening these files in the Data/Table Compare. Here they would display the files. If you attempted to open an Excel file in another view, such as the Text Compare, then it would appear as binary gibberish, since the file is a binary format and not plain text.

If you open the file in the Data or Table Compare, does this work for you? In BC4, you can revert to factory default settings using the Tools menu.

We do have additional downloads to help view the file in the Text Compare, if that is needed. You can download them from our website. You would want the MS Excel Workbooks format with the white/text icon to open Excel in our Text Compare session type:
      http://www.scootersoftware.com/downl..._moreformatsv4

I tried opening up BC4 in Table Compare, and the result is seen in BC4.png. The about.png screen is the version.
      I then upgraded to the latest, and BC4Latest.png and About2.png are reflective of this build.

I did download the excel extended plugin, but it did not do anything for me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	about.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	76395

Name:	About2.PNG
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	76396

Name:	BC4.png
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	76397

Name:	BC4Latest.PNG
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	76398

I did restore to factory defaults.
      Last edited by gedinfo; 30-Sep-2015, 11:19 AM. Reason: screenshots attached

Comment

Hello,

I do not see any screenshot attachments to your post. You can edit to attach them, or email us at support@scootersoftware.com along with a link back to this forum thread for our reference. If you email us, please also include your Help menu -> Support dialog; Export: BCSupport.zip

The Excel Extended format is an older conversion method that would still require you to use the Table Compare. Did you get a chance to attempt to restore factory defaults? If not, and you need to back up your existing settings first, you can use the Tools menu -> Export to create a backup.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Aaron,

I did download and install MS Excel Workbooks, and the resultant screenshot ...SentToStephen.png is the result.

Comment

Hello,

That screenshot appears to show a completely empty comparison. A couple possible causes:
            1) The Table Compare converts the current sheet. If your text is on sheet 1, but the file is currently open/closed viewing an empty sheet 2, then sheet 2 is the current sheet and is what is converted when opening in BC4.
            2) Your Excel file contains pictures or icons, but not actual text data that can be copied/selected pasted. If you launch Excel, and use the File menu -> Save As... Comma Separated Values (CSV) as a new temporary file, is this file also blank?

Is it possible for you to email in example files? We could more quickly troubleshoot if we are able to recreate the scenario you are hitting. You can email us at support@scootersoftware.com and include:
            - A pair of sample files
            - Your BCSupport.zip from the Help menu -> Support; Export
            - A link back to this forum thread for our reference.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
            X