No announcement yet.

Word wrap in text-compare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tip: Until BC implements word wrap, which is also a deal-breaker for me, you can use the free WinMerge, which has a very nice word wrap feature that works well. When you turn on wrap in WinMerge you will also see why BC is reluctant to implement it: It works fine on smaller files but as soon as files get longer updating the comparison gets very slow while you are displaying the file contents side by side, and when you are editing. As a developer myself I can imagine that the routines for comparing and updating the live lines while wrapped are massively more complex and thus potentially more error-prone. ;-)

Comment

Its now five years since the first request, and it sure seems like something that a lot of people want.

It can't be that hard, and the lack of such is forcing me to go look for another solution.

Comment

Hello,

As Zoe mentioned, this is something we are working on for BC5 (and have worked on before, too, but we try not to announce features before we are confident of their delivery, given how demonstrably long multiple iterations or overhauls can take). There are aspects to BC's Text view that make it more complicated to implement, such as how BC4 supports displaying and aligning the text as the file pair is still loading, and the optimizations we use that allow handling extremely large files and the speed of the load. If it were easy to include, we'd have put it in much earlier to help out with customer demand.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

With text aligning you mean something like this (see attachment) ?
          (Source: PHP Fine Diff - Raymond Hill)

Anyway, we are looking forward to BC5

=
          https://i.imgur.com/JoNXM6u.png
          =
          Click image for larger version  Name:	PHP Fine Diff-RaymondHill-ViewDiff-24082020 094839.png Views:	0 Size:	161.9 KB ID:	84017
          Last edited by bcdewul; 24-Aug-2020, 03:02 AM.

Comment

As a single pane where differences are inserted next to each other or the wrapping of text at the top? Yes to working with word wrap in the interface (so there is no horizontal scroll bar, but there are still two text panes), as well as a few other related ideas here and there. This thread doesn't deal with a single pane or Report with inserted differences, but that's a separate idea on our wishlist that I'll add your example to.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

I just purchased BC4, but I'm looking forward to BC5, especially for the word wrap. I doubt that this feature will be enabled for the spreadsheet (Table) compare where I really need it, but maybe someday. In any case, I appreciate all the work that the Scooter team puts into developing and supporting the software.

Comment

It's a separate feature request, but is also something on our wishlist.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Hello, just adding my voice to request word wrap. I will gladly pay for an upgrade that would purely add word wrap, it's a very important feature.

Comment

Visual Studio Code just released a minor update which has a new feature: word wrap in their diff editor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wordwrap.png
Views:	251
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	84741
                    As others have said, it's a sorely-missed feature in BC. The fact that this will be a feature its existing users need to pay for does sour my otherwise positive experience with this software.

Comment

Originally posted by oldmankit View Post
                      Visual Studio Code just released a minor update which has a new feature: word wrap in their diff editor.

As others have said, it's a sorely-missed feature in BC. The fact that this will be a feature its existing users need to pay for does sour my otherwise positive experience with this software.
                      Thank you for the heads up. We know it’s overdue and we’re working on it as quickly as we can. It has been an unexpectedly difficult feature to nail down, and the school closures from the pandemic have unfortunately affected the schedule too, but we’re making progress and we’re hopeful it will be worth the wait.

As for charging for it, we don’t really have a choice. Microsoft has other revenue streams to support VS Code’s development, while BC has to pay for itself. Our last major, paid upgrade was in 2014 and we’ve already released a number of significant enhancements for free in v4.1, v4.2, and v4.3. We try to make the upgrades generous, but we still need new features to justify them.
                      ZoŽ P Scooter Software

Comment

I'll also chime in that we traditionally have generous upgrade policies, too. While it's not set for BC5, we do have our BC2->3 and BC3->4 policies here:
                        http://www.scootersoftware.com/shop....=upgradepolicy

In general, if you purchased within the year of those versions releasing the next version, it was a free upgrade. And if outside of that window, there is a discount (usually around 50%, but there's a calculator/wizard to figure out exactly, depending on license type).

We don't want users to purchase the software for feature sets that aren't in the current release, but also try to make sure no one feels bad about purchasing it and seeing the next version on the horizon.
                        Last edited by Chris; 18-Dec-2020, 09:02 AM.
                        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

just forked out my $60 and am sorely disappointed... i would not have even thought to look for this as an option because almost every program of any nature can do it, including Devart's code compare, which is what i've been using...

any rough idea of when v5 is coming out?

Comment

Hello,

No, we don't have any new announcements for BC5's timeline, which we would definitely share as soon as it's appropriate. I hope some of our other feature set is useful for you; we also have some tips such as the Next Difference (Ctrl+Shift+N) for horiztonal+vertical navigation (instead of by Section), as well as the Text Details status bar, and generally configuring and limiting the view to only Important Differences (and excluding or coloring only what you need to review).

In case any other users run into this reply, you don't need to purchase BC4 to test it out. BC4's trial is fully featured (and can toggle between Pro or Std modes), with a days-of-use time limit for evaluation.

If you still have any questions or concerns about BC4 not meeting your needs or need help with our workflow, please email us at support@scootersoftware.com and we can help you out.
                            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

As a developer, I understand how features can take a lot longer to implement than initially expected, but word wrap being requested since 2008 suggests some pretty massive technical debt, given that it's a standard feature in most other diff tools. Perhaps BC5 is a complete rewrite?

Anyway, ironically, this pretty excellent comparison tool called CompareIt! stopped being developed at some point around 2008, largely because there wasn't much to add to it. And it does include word wrapping, manual section matching, the horizontal comparison panel at the bottom, regular expressions to ignore (portions of) lines, syntax highlight, and so on. I install Wine on my Linux machines just to use it, because it's still faster than every other diff tool out there at comparing CSVs.

Comment

For plain text files WinMerge?
                                As far as wrapping of PDF files: haven't found a decent solution for PDF files, except Acrobat itself.
                                BC shows the differences quite well, but no wrapping, regretfully so.

WinMerge compare texts

PDF Compare

Comment

Working...
                                X