No announcement yet.

Word wrap in text-compare

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These are both recommended workarounds, and while not intended to be best case solutions can definitely help people. Thanks for concisely posting setup instructions. And correct: it's not an easy implementation and comparison ties into the core of the program.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
      ...correct: it's not an easy implementation and comparison ties into the core of the program.
      Given the difficulty in implementing the desired solution, how long it has been on the too do list, and the likelihood the preferred solution will be implemented within the short or planned future. Implementing easier to achieve interim solution(s) to improvement in the current capability is highly desirable.

Suggestion:
      1. Sentence compare filter which forgoes editing within beyond compare. The filter should remove line breaks within sentences (single <cr> or <lf>) then insert paragraph breaks at the end of sentences. Double paragraph breaks should be retained as they corresponded to meaningful white space in the original document.
      2. Automate other recommended work arounds such as the suggestion listed two posts above.
      3. Enable the user to readily choose which (imperfect) text compare they use on each document.

Core changes are not going to happen in the short term. Working within the limitations of the current core feature set is still a useful approach in the interim rather than saying we can't do what we really want to do, so wont offer any support within beyond compare 4.
      Last edited by patch; 26-Jan-2019, 06:22 PM.

Comment

So I just downloaded the trial and loaded my two paragraphs of text I wanted to compare.

However, on both sides in Beyond Compare, the respective text paragraph was squished into one line, and I could only see like 10% of every paragraph.

Well I thought, that must be a case for that text wrap button on the toolbar.

However, there seemed to be no text wrap button.

Okay, then it must be in the settings.

I started looking all over the settings for the text wrap setting.

However, there seemed to be no such setting

I still was sure that I only had overlooked it, however was already getting a little angry, because the ability of wrapping text paragraphs of every program in this galaxy since like 20 years was so hard to activate in Beyond Compare.

Okay so I went on the Internets, about to look up where this damn setting was hidden.

Sure enough I was taken to this thread.

And my ears couldn't believe their eyes what I found here.

Are you ******* serious??? This is 2019, and you can't do ******* text wrap?!? In one of the supposedly leading comparing tools of this planet??

Sorry but this kind of anachronism leaves me shaking my head and questioning the future of humanity. This is unbefuckinglievable.

Profanity language indended, because obviously you guys otherwise don't get it, particularly looking at the fact that this has been legitimately requested by users for literally decades.

Sorry guys, of course it's not meant personally.
        Last edited by David.P; 10-Feb-2019, 08:22 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

David

Comment

Originally posted by David.P View Post
            So I just downloaded the trial and loaded my two paragraphs of text I wanted to compare.

However, on both sides in Beyond Compare, the respective text paragraph was squished into one line, and I could only see like 10% of every paragraph.

Well I thought, that must be a case for that text wrap button on the toolbar.

However, there seemed to be no text wrap button.

Okay, then it must be in the settings.

I started looking all over the settings for the text wrap setting.

However, there seemed to be no such setting

I still was sure that I only had overlooked it, however was already getting a little angry, because the ability of wrapping text paragraphs of every program in this galaxy since like 20 years was so hard to activate in Beyond Compare.

Okay so I went on the Internets, about to look up where this damn setting was hidden.

Sure enough I was taken to this thread.

And my ears couldn't believe their eyes what I found here.

Are you ******* serious??? This is 2019, and you can't do ******* text wrap?!? In one of the supposedly leading comparing tools of this planet??

Sorry but this kind of anachronism leaves me shaking my head and questioning the future of humanity. This is unbefuckinglievable.

Profanity language indended, because obviously you guys otherwise don't get it, particularly looking at the fact that this has been legitimately requested by users for literally decades.

Sorry guys, of course it's not meant personally.

I know what you mean, I've been using Beyond Compare for a long while now and it's unbelievable that it doesn't have Word Wrapping. Of all the super advanced features, I would have thought basic word wrapping would be the easiest when doing simple text compare.

Comment

Working...
            X