Feature Request: Compare NTFS Permissions and Share Permissions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feature Request: Compare NTFS Permissions and Share Permissions

Many times I use this software when moving data from server to server. I use the folder compare all the time to make sure I have moved all the files, then use the registry compare making sure all those settings are the same. Something I keep coming across is when I move data between servers and have complex NTFS permissions and share permissions I have to go back and have two RDP sessions open and compare each folder one at a time (very tedious). It would be amazing if Beyond Compare could add this Feature to the Folder Compare as a check box option (or something slick, check box thought was to not slow down the software and used only when needed) and then give us the option to make the permissions the same on the other server.

I hope you will consider this and add the feature. Long time supporter and purchaser of this software. Thank you -WS.

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback. We do have an option in the Session Settings: Handling tab to copy NTFS security descriptors as part of a file copy:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/support.php?zz=kb_ntfs
    This usually requires using the Windows compatibility option to "Run As Administrator". Being an Admin user is usually insufficient.

For comparison, we don't have this baked into the program, but you can generate two reports from the command line, then compare the reports in BC:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...kb_ntfscompare

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any questions.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
      Thank you. I tried the above links and the part built into BC does not seem to work (see screenshots). I do know about icacls but that is really not much help because you have to, cmd run it, and still go on the new server and apply them. Looking for a built in solution for BC. I know it maybe a programming nightmare but figured I would ask. Thanks for your time looking at this. -WS

Click image for larger version

Name:	BC1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	76370

Name:	BC2.jpg
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	76371

Name:	BC3.jpg
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	76372

Comment

Hello,

Do the security settings copy over if you run BC4 on the destination machine, along with the Run As Administrator option is enabled?
        Are there any messages or errors in the log when you attempt the copy?

For comparison, we do not support a compare within the applications (hence the icacls workaround). It's on our wishlist to enhance this support, but it is a larger change we wouldn't be able to implement soon.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Hello,

Do the security settings copy over if you run BC4 on the destination machine, along with the Run As Administrator option is enabled?
          Are there any messages or errors in the log when you attempt the copy?
          This is on my local machine where BC software is installed and directly compared on the C: Drive. Logged in with Domain Admin account with and without "Run as Administrator". No difference. No error messages. Thanks again -WS

Comment

Running without Run As Administrator will often fail. This option is regularly required in order to set NTFS security permissions. The reason being that BC4 cannot prompt for UAC control, so we need that prompt as boot up using this option.

Is it possible to run BC on the machine you are copying to? Sometimes the machine is sufficiently locked down, where running "from" the machine then helps get us additional access to set the permissions.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Running without Run As Administrator will often fail. This option is regularly required in order to set NTFS security permissions. The reason being that BC4 cannot prompt for UAC control, so we need that prompt as boot up using this option.

Is it possible to run BC on the machine you are copying to? Sometimes the machine is sufficiently locked down, where running "from" the machine then helps get us additional access to set the permissions.
              Humm, I may be misunderstanding your question "possible to run BC on the machine you are copying too". I am running BC on my machine (where BC is installed) and making a local copy from C:\NTFS Folder to C:\NTFS Test. C:\NTFS Folder has permissions on the folder and the single file inside it has the permissions from the folder. When I copy just the file no permissions are transferred. I am not sure how to just copy the folder to the folder but retain the different folder names or just copy the permissions of the first folder so the the second folder and take the permissions, which in theory would make the files take the permissions.

I guess my thoughts were is there an easy way to just compare the permissions within BC (I believe it can be done with VBScript or Powershell {hoping that example would help here}). Then apply the permissions to the other folder? Then just copy the files they should take the permissions of the folder they are copied to. I think I have seen other programs that show you the permission and maybe even can sort of compare them but I am not sure they transfer the permissions...

It would be very amazing to have this feature in this software as I find it so useful. I have showed other Admins and tell them you must buy it for your set of software tools.

Thank you for all your time looking at this. More than happy to test anything you need, if there is some slick way to make this work. -WS

Comment

Hello,

If you are selecting a file that has not explicit permissions, but inherits from a parent folder and you aren't copying the parent folder then the file wouldn't have the permissions. This is covered in a bit more detail in the KB article, but the quick summary is that the selected item needs to be the item that has the permissions set on it. You would need to select the parent folder of the single file and copy it. If this is the base folder and is not selectable in the interface, you would need to navigate up on level in order to be able to select, right-click, and issue a copy command on the item that has the NTFS Security Descriptors.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback. We do have an option in the Session Settings: Handling tab to copy NTFS security descriptors as part of a file copy:
                  http://www.scootersoftware.com/support.php?zz=kb_ntfs
                  This usually requires using the Windows compatibility option to "Run As Administrator". Being an Admin user is usually insufficient.

For comparison, we don't have this baked into the program, but you can generate two reports from the command line, then compare the reports in BC:
                  http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...kb_ntfscompare

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any questions.
                  Is it not possible to create a File Format extension/ script that auto executes the icacls on and then allows BC to compare the resulting output?

Comment

Hello,

No, File Formats execute when launching a file view, but this command is done on the folder.
                    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
                    X