easy transfer support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• easy transfer support

I have been using BC and scripts to sync two computers using an ethernet cable. This is slow for large amounts of data and I have purchased a belkin easy transfer cable and can use Windows easy transfer but it is not a patch on BC.
    Can I do this in BC?

Hello,

It sounds like Windows Easy Transfer is a Belkin specific program. Beyond Compare can load specific targets, which would require this program to bind it's location as a drive letter, or be accessible on the Windows Network or as an FTP. If Belkin supports this type of connection, then we would be able to use it, but browsing their documentation it appears that Easy Transfer is a very specific program that doesn't expect other programs to interact with it.

The speed of a BC transfer would be limited by the protocol you have configured. If it is over the Windows Network, we would be able to go as fast as a normal Windows/Explorer copy over the same connection. If this is a wireless connection or over a slow internal network, that could be the limiting factor.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
      It sounds like Windows Easy Transfer is a Belkin specific program.
      Not at all, Windows Easy Transfer is a Windows program, it actually ships with Win 7 and Win 8... just go to Start Run and type Windows Easy Transfer

If Belkin supports this type of connection, then we would be able to use it, but browsing their documentation it appears that Easy Transfer is a very specific program that doesn't expect other programs to interact with it.
      The Belkin product is merely a USB bridge cable. It does not have its own software.

The speed of a BC transfer would be limited by the protocol you have configured. If it is over the Windows Network, we would be able to go as fast as a normal Windows/Explorer copy over the same connection. If this is a wireless connection or over a slow internal network, that could be the limiting factor.
      Speed is what this is about. Using BC to transfer say 100Gigs over an Ethernet cable takes about 23-24 hours. Using a USB bridge cable takes about an hour and a half. I would much prefer to use BC than Windows Easy Transfer (and it has been removed in Win 10 apparently .... big opportunity for you! )
      Last edited by Alycat; 09-Jul-2015, 05:54 PM.

Comment

All well I think ... even though I had an ethernet cable plugged in it was still using wi fi ... when I switched that off it is quick ... and with that I can use BC

Comment

Yep, I did not realise that it would still be using wi-fi ... switched that off, connected my Ethernet cable, ran my usual BC script to mirror the two computers, and speed is up there with using a USB bridge cable.

Thanks.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification and feedback. Glad to hear you were able to configure your wired network to match in speed. I'll have to play around with Easy Transfer, but even as a Windows application it appears to be specialized to act as both a client/server; it's handling the connection and transfer without exposing the data as a drive accessible path.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

One of my programs can act as both a server and client for transferring files (but using UDP not USB). I also did a bit of USB programming, but directly not using a drive letter.

Comment

Hiya

I would like to see this incorporated as well - especially since this feature has been removed in Windows 8.1, not that it was that good from a "pick and choose" / compare in the first place.

There are a couple of companies that do it already to an extent, but having BC4 to do it would make it far easier and consistent.
                But maybe a pain to implement as USB <-> USB copies may use different protocols / stack.

Bravura Easy Computer Sync
                http://www.bravurasoftware.com/easy-computer-sync/

Total Commander
                http://www.ghisler.com/efaqusb.htm

Laplink PC Mover
                http://www.laplink.com/index.php/ind...professional-8

Cheers

Richard
                Melbourne AU

Comment

Working...
                X