X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gorlash
    New User
    • Jun 2015

compare issues with mixed tabs and spaces

By default, BC4 considers changes in spaces to be "unimportant differences", which is as I wish. However, I often find myself comparing files which originally had hard-tabs, but now have spaces because my editor is set to "replace tabs with spaces". However, BC4 does not consider the hard tabs to be equivalent to a group of spaces, so it shows such lines as being changed.

Is there some way I can set BC4 to consider changes in *both* tabs and spaces to be "unimportant differences" ???
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Are the tabs and spaces within another detected grammar type, such as in a String or Comment?

If whitespace is within a grammar element, then the importance is part of that element. If it is outside a grammar, it should be controlled by the Session Settings, Importance tab, which has options for Leading whitespace, Embedded, and Trailing. Uncheck these (default) to make these types of changes unimportant.

How does this work for you? If you are still having trouble, could you post or email a full screen screenshot with Visible Whitespace enabled. If emailing, please include a link back to this forum thread and your BCSupport.zip from the Help menu -> Support; Export. Our email is [email protected]
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Gorlash
      New User
      • Jun 2015

Aye, after looking at things awhile longer, I finally figured that both spaces and tabs *were* being treated as "unimportant", as I wished. So what I *really* wanted (but didn't know it) is to just turn off display of unimportant things, which is done by selecting the Minor button... just normal pains of learning a new tool!!

Thanks for your response!

Comment

Working...