Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I do not fully understand text replacement, can You help me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I do not fully understand text replacement, can You help me?

I have a issue, not related with B.C., that is explained in microsoft article "https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2807779/en-us".
    I want to use B.C. to compare the two text that I find there.
    First: "MCEAEX-_O=MMS_OU=EXCHANGE+20ADMINISTRATIVE+20GROUP+20+28F YDIBOHF23SPDLT+29_CN=RECIPIENTS_CN=User6ed4e168-addd-4b03-95f5-b9c9a421957358d@mgd.domain.com".
    Second: "X500:/O=MMS/OU=EXCHANGE ADMINISTRATIVE GROUP (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=User-addd-4b03-95f5-b9c9a421957358d".
    I use text replacement as You can see in the screen shot, but still some parts are missing.
    Maybe some characters are considered as special, even if I do not select regular expression: / ( ) +.
    In this case, how can I choose text replacement rules?

Thank You very much

Rodolfo Giovanninetti
    Attached Files

Hello,

Text Replacements do not support matching on 'blank' (for +20 = blank); it needs to match on a specific/found text string. It will also only work if the specified text is aligned, which you can verify with the View menu -> Alignment Details. +20+28 is aligned with ( in this example, so +20 = ( would match, but +28 isn't aligned with the ( character.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Thank You again, but I still do not understand if and how I can compare the two text lines.
      In the first screen shot that I attached, there is already the View Alignment Details.
      The problem is not with +20 -> space, that works.
      Also the replacement of _ with / works, apart from the "_O=MMS_" on the left that does not correspond to the "/O=MMS/" on the right.
      Instead, the first _ correspond to the second /, but I understand that is not so easy to match perfectly everything.
      I attach a second screen shot with only the two replacement rules.
      No, the issue seems to be with +28 -> ( and +29 -> ).
      I attach a third screen shot with the new rule +28 -> (.
      It seems that it does not match, as if the rule were not there.
      But the strange things happens when I add the rule +29 -> ) as You can see in the fourth screen shot.
      When I add this rule, the +29 matches ), but then the following _ does not match the /.
      So, please consider it at least as my wish-list for future improvement.

Thank You again and regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti
      Attached Files

Comment

+20 -> Space would require these characters to line up in the Alignment Details. Text Replacements can define an aligned difference as equal.

I tested +28 -> ( which does allow that text to appear blue/unimportant.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Excuse me but I still do not understand Your answer.

"+20 -> Space would require these characters to line up in the Alignment Details. Text Replacements can define an aligned difference as equal."
          But in the screen shot that I sent You, in Alignment Details, +20 and the space DO match, this is NOT the issue.

"I tested +28 -> ( which does allow that text to appear blue/unimportant."
          Instead I see both in red, as You can see in my screen shot.
          Can You show me Your example?

Anyway we can consider this issue closed.

Regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

Comment

Here's what I'm seeing using your sample text pasted into a Text Compare, then I define the Text Replacement. Are you using the latest BC4 release?
            Attached Files
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
              Here's what I'm seeing using your sample text pasted into a Text Compare, then I define the Text Replacement. Are you using the latest BC4 release?
              Yes, I am using B.C. 4.0.7, and if I remove other rules and keep only "+28 -> (" I too see that they match.
              If I add "+29 -> )" and "_ -> /", "+28" still matches with "(".
              It is when I add the rule "+20 -> <space>" that "+28" no longer matches with "(".
              NO, the behavior seems to be random, at least to me!
              Maybe simply I am tired, I am leaving for a long week-end, on Monday I will be able to do other tests.
              But for now, I attach here two other screen shots.
              The rules are the same, but in one the "+28" matches with "(", in the other one it does not match.
              So maybe it is important also the order in which I add rules?

Thank You again and regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X