Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cannot open file xxxx. The process cannot access the file because it is being used

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot open file xxxx. The process cannot access the file because it is being used

When comparing Outlook subfolders with a bunch of .pst files in it with the same folder on an external drive
    Beyond compare reports:

05-04-2015 10:22:55 Cannot open file "Z:\Backup2\Outlook\blabla-soomefilename.pst". The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process

this for 3 .pst files.

Other .pst files are copied correctly.

Regretfully it does not say _which_ process.

However, the files are in fact copied, so no differences.

Now, it could be(!) that I stopped comparing, because Beyond Compare required a lot of time to calculate CRC on these big .pst files. I didn't want to wait for that.
    Maybe . . . the 'other process' is the CRC-calculation?
    I don't know.
    If so, I think when the [Stop] button is clicked, maybe CRC calculation (CRC column is displayed) should stop immediately?

Thanks
    -

Hello,

The other process is usually Windows, since the .pst files can be scanned internally by the Find dialog, they are periodically indexed for their content. If the files were in the middle of a content scan, this can also trigger an anti-virus to scan the file (and, some brands of anti-virus can also internally scan as well). Does this reproduce after a reboot?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
    X