Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loading/Viewing a standard (e.g., git-generated) diff/merge file?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loading/Viewing a standard (e.g., git-generated) diff/merge file?

I want to view a diff file generated by git and assumed Beyond Compare had the ability to do it, since it can generate patch files and whatnot, but I've spent a while now Googling and trying Beyond Compare actions and nothing... Anyone know if this is supported somehow and I'm just missing it? Seems like a pretty basic feature for this sort of program (love BC generally, so not meant as criticism).

This is the sort of file I'm talking about:
    div {
    <<<<<<< Updated upstream
    width: 100% !important;
    padding: 0px 75px 0px 75px !important;
    =======
    width: 1300px !important;
    padding: 0px 75px 0px 75px !important;
    >>>>>>> Stashed changes
    }

Thanks.

Hello,

Beyond Compare does have a View Patch tool in the Tools menu, which supports standard Patch formats. This text does not seem to match the patch format, however. You can generate 3 different patch styles using the Text Compare's Session menu -> Text Compare Report, Layout: Patch for examples.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
      Hello,
      Beyond Compare does have a View Patch tool in the Tools menu, which supports standard Patch formats. This text does not seem to match the patch format, however. You can generate 3 different patch styles using the Text Compare's Session menu -> Text Compare Report, Layout: Patch for examples.
      Thanks, I ended up having to use WinMerge for this situation. I don't know what that very common file format is called, the nearest I could find was it being called a "conflict file".

Comment

Thanks for the terminology. With that, I was able to track down this functionality, document, and add it to our wishlist.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
        X