Faithful copy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faithful copy?

Is there yet some way to make faithful copies of files and folders, i.e. preserving everything? Regular Copy does not preserve Date Created. Thanks.

Hello,

On Windows, our copy method is the same as Windows, following the standard practices of the host OS. We do have an additional option to preserve creation date during a copy, in the Session Setting's Handling tab: "Copy creation dates".
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
      On Windows, our copy method is the same as Windows, following the standard practices of the host OS.
      Fair enough.

Session Setting's Handling tab: "Copy creation dates".
      Excellent. Thanks.

BTW, how about the label follow the standard practice of the OS? "Created". Then my search of Help would not have missed it.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisjj View Post
        Excellent.
        I spoke too soon. Not excellent. It fails to copy folder Date Created.

Would you please pass on my request that this discrepancy between UI and behaviour be remedied? Preferably by fixing the behaviour to copy ALL Date Createds. Thanks.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, Chris. We do not currently preserve this on the folder level, but I'll add your feedback to our wishlist.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, Chris. We do not currently preserve this on the folder level, but I'll add your feedback to our wishlist.
            Thanks. Please also record the bug. Esp. since this is one that can cause data loss.

Comment

Using the core Windows copy method is not a bug, and does not cause data loss. We are using provided host OS functions, and we would follow that behavior for increased compatibility. If you consider how a Copy handles Creation Date a bug, please contact Microsoft. We are adding options to expand on this behavior and optionally preserve and edit on top of this, for users who would want that customization, which we are glad to offer.
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Using the core Windows copy method is not a bug,
                I didn't say it was.

and does not cause data loss.
                The UI says "Copy creation dates". The behaviour is to copy only SOME Created dates. The result most definitely can be data loss.

We are using provided host OS functions, and we would follow that behavior for increased compatibility. If you consider how a Copy handles Creation Date a bug, please contact Microsoft.
                I can't see why. MS would surely simply suggest you fix BC's UI. "Copy creation dates" -> "Copy some Created dates". Or -> "Copy file Created dates" ... if that's true.

Comment

Working...
                X