bcomp.com opens compare window, ignores /silent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bcomp.com opens compare window, ignores /silent

BC 4.0.6.17929. bcomp.com is supposed to be a console program, but instead of using the console, it opens a normal compare window. Specifying /silent does not stop it doing this.

bcomp.com is a means of calling the main BCompare.exe from a console wait until the comparison is complete before returning to the console. If no parameters are passed, this would launch the graphical interface. Using /qc or "@c:\bcscript.txt" would launch an automated mode. What task would you be trying to accomplish from the command line. I would suggest not using /silent until the task is working, as silent supresses all information including warning or error dialogs.

Detailed documentation about the differences between bcomp.com, /quickcompare, and @scriptfile can be found in the Help file, Command Line Reference chapter. Scripting Reference, and Using Beyond Compare -> Automating with Script also contain additional script specific help.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

I'm just trying to use BC4 to compare two files from a command prompt and get a return code. I supply /silent and two file names; what I get is a prompt asking me to "Open View" or "Cancel". I don't want to do either, which is why I specified /silent. In either case, I eventually get the return code I wanted.

If this is working as designed, I think /silent requires a lot more explanation as to when it will be ignored.

Comment

To compare from the command prompt to get a return code, you would want to use /qc or /quickcompare. This is the command line parameter to run bcomp.com /qc "c:\file1" "c:\file2", which then sets %ErrorLevel% with the return value of the comparison. This actually doesn't require silent, as /qc does not prompt an interface by default.

If you run BComp.com without the addition of /qc or @script.txt, you are telling Bcomp that you want to run a graphical comparison. /silent is an additional option that is added when running in scripting mode (bcompare.exe @script.txt /silent) to run in script mode silently. /silent can also be added to the installer to install silently. Silent is multipurpose and can suppress multiple things, but isn't designed to suppress the call to launch the graphical interface.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
        X