Is it easier to ignore svn keywords in BC4?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DavidA
    Journeyman
    • Sep 2008

Is it easier to ignore svn keywords in BC4?

Hi

I like BC3 a lot, but one of the things I struggle with is ignoring svn keywords in comparisons. Is the handling of grammar, and ignoring keywords in particular, made any easier in BC4?

Best regards

David
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Yes, we added a new session setting called Unimportant Text. Here you can set the keywords as Unimportant, and set these as the Session Setting Defaults for all sessions, regardless of the File Format used. To define, go to the Home screen, in the saved sessions list, expand the New folder, select Text Compare (and Text Merge if needed), and define them in the Importance tab: Unimportant section.

You can install the trial of BC4 without removing or altering BC3. This way, you can test out any features before purchase is necessary.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• DavidA
      Journeyman
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Aaron
      Yes, we added a new session setting called Unimportant Text. Here you can set the keywords as Unimportant, and set these as the Session Setting Defaults for all sessions, regardless of the File Format used. To define, go to the Home screen, in the saved sessions list, expand the New folder, select Text Compare (and Text Merge if needed), and define them in the Importance tab: Unimportant section.
      Would I still define the unimportant text by a regular expression? For example would I enter the following?

^.*\$(Id|DateTime|Author|Change):.*$

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Yes, this session setting also supports regular expressions, just like defining a File Format grammar.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• DavidA
          Journeyman
          • Sep 2008

Hi

This is not working as expected for me (using BC4).

I am comparing two files:

File1.c contains:

************************************************** ****************************
          * $Id: Encoder.c 4 2014-08-13 15:11:52Z me$

File2.c contains:

* $Id: Encoder.c,v 1.3.6.1.6.2 2010/10/11 12:57:01 him $

I have specified the following unimportant text for Text Compare in the home screen:

^.*\$(Id|DateTime|Author|Change):.*$

But the svn keyword string is shown as different between the two files.

Any idea what I am doing wrong please?

Best regards

David

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Hello,

Copying/Pasting and using these two sample files, then going to the Session Settings, Importance tab, and add a New Unimportant, of ^.*\$(Id|DateTime|Author|Change):.*$, with "Regular Expression" enabled. This marks the difference as Blue text/Unimportant. At this point, blue can be ignored with the Ignore Unimportant toggle, which changes blue text to black text.

If you are still having trouble, could you email us at [email protected] with
            - your BCSupport.zip from the Help menu -> Support; Export
            - A full screen screenshot
            - a pair of sample files from the screenshot
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...