X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RichH
    Journeyman
    • Jan 2009

Always have to retry once for network compare

Starting with BeyondCompare 4, when I do a folder compare against a network computer (using the \\hostname syntax), I always get a "Folder not available" message on the first try. I'll click Retry, and then it works fine. This does not happen with BeyondCompare 3.

The client computer (running BeyondCompare) version does not seem to matter--it happens with XP or Windows 8.1 client. The remote computer I have a problem with runs Windows Vista. It does not seem to happen with a different remote Windows 7 computer.

Currently on BC 4.0.4, but this happened with the first BC4 that I tried.
  • RichH
    Journeyman
    • Jan 2009

Is this forum the right place to report bugs? I was hoping this problem could get fixed.

Comment

• Aaron
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

Hello,

Sorry, Rich. I added your report to our tracker, but didn't get a reply typed up. I tried to recreate this with a Vista test machine sharing a folder, but Vista seemed to function as expected without needing a retry. Are there any other details that might help recreate this issue? Software that might be running on the Vista machine, or any information about the network?
      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Could we also get the exact error text that appears when it fails, from the bottom Log pane of the Folder Compare?
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• RichH
          Journeyman
          • Jan 2009

There is no text that appears at the bottom, just a pop-up window that says "Folder Not Available" with the options to "Create", "Retry", or "Cancel". Retry always works. My best guess is that it is some sort of timing issue. I don't know of anything unusual about my Vista system. It's an HP desktop system about 8 years old. Lots of software installed, but mostly consumer stuff, no servers.

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Thanks, Rich.

No messages besides the basic Load <->, then? Thanks for checking. Meanwhile, I setup another Vista VM from scratch and got a similar issue to reproduce this time. We have a possible fix in the works and it should be in the next build.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Chris
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

This should be fixed in BC 4.0.6 that we just released today.
              Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• RichH
                Journeyman
                • Jan 2009

Yeah! It works the first time now! Thank you.

Comment

Working...