X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • timg11
    Expert
    • Apr 2010

Another WEBDAV issue - zero byte files

I saw another issue with WEBDAV. If a file transfer from a WEBDAV server fails, BC leaves a 0-byte file on the destination drive with the the file name and current date/time stamp. If the BC view is set to newer/orphans on the source side, it will appear that all the files have transferred successfully if you don't review the log carefully. Even if you refresh, the missing files will still not show up as needing to be transferred since the zero byte files have the newer date.

The preferred behavior would be for BC to remove the zero byte file if the transfer fails.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Thanks for the report. Is there an error message in the log about the transfer? Could we get the exact error text?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• timg11
      Expert
      • Apr 2010

Aaron, There was no error in the log that I noticed. I discovered later that I had the 0 byte files, and BC was showing no sync needed because they had the timestamp of the time of synchronization. I know zero byte files can be created when a file is opened for writing, but nothing is written. Is there any way the BC WEBDAV code can fail to copy data, and exit without cleaning up any zero byte files that were opened?

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

The key there is "fail" to copy data. I'd expect that we would hit and show errors in the Log and above the log in the Error pane pop-up. Are you able to reproduce this and verify the log?
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Chris
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

BC 4.0.6 that we released today should avoid creating 0 byte files if a copy fails.
          Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...