X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steerpike
    Visitor
    • Jan 2015

Updating files that have been modified but with no date change

I've been using BC since the first release, and have been a registered user 'forever', introducing it to dozens of companies along the way. Just downloaded BC4 and will register that too. Great, focused product!

In addition to the obvious uses at work, I use BC on a personal level to maintain synch between my backup directories of almost a gigabyte of jpeg files. I am forever updating the 'IPTC' data within jpeg files (metafile data, similar to 'exif' data). I intentionally do not let my editors update the date/time stamp as I rely on the file date/time to reflect the time the photo was taken. So after a session of updating metadata, I will 'synch' these files to my backup folder.

I just downloaded and installed the 'exif headers' 'file format' and that now allows me to detect all the differences - so I'm looking at a directory with hundreds of 'differences' plainly identified, but I can't find a way to automatically update all the changed files 'to the right' - it always says 'nothing to do'. I have to hand-select every changed file and then 'copy' them - which is very tedious. I'd like to say, update every file identified as 'different' on the left over to the right, even though time/date stamp is identical. Any way to do that?

Thanks!
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

The Sync Update command specifically can only copy files that have a Newer timestamp or are Orphans. If you are in the Folder Sync session, in the Session Settings, you can update the "Different" (Differences detected, but equal timestamp Status) criteria from Do Nothing to Copy in a direction. Or in the Folder Compare you can set the Display Filters to only show these files with Show (all) Differences, or use the Toggles display filters and toggle on only Differences (two red dots), then Select All Files and Copy in a direction.

A Sync Mirror would also copy them, but would also Delete Orphans in the destination, as well as copy Newer and Older files from Source to the Destination. At the end of a Mirror, the Destination is made to be an exact copy of the Source.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...