Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Background or lower priority I/O file transfer options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background or lower priority I/O file transfer options?

More recent versions of Windows support background file transfer and/or lower I/O priority for processes.

It would be helpful to take advantage of these OS features from Beyond Compare. I'd like to be able to run a "background" sync that would not overwhelm the drive and network, so other (higher priority) functions on the system are not adversely affected.

I brought this up with BC3 over 4 years ago. Has any progress been made with BC4?

Hello,

This is still something on our Customer Wishlist. We haven't been able to tackle it yet, but it is something we are keeping in mind as a potential future enhancement.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

While we're waiting for the "wishlist", I've developed a somewhat "inelegant" workaround. This implements a low IO priority mirroring backup function that won't impair the normal system operation. Rather than perform a pure mirror, it moves deleted files to a "Deleted" folder on the backup drive. I was hoping to make this work like a Recycle bin, and keep deleted files until space is needed. Since that doesn't appear to be possible, I settled for a simple "delete older than". Based on my available space on the server I have that set to 90 days, but it can adjust as needed. I hope this is useful to others.

For the priority control I found a program that can lower the IOpriority of an Windows Process.

I started with Chris' suggested script in this thread, and edited to this script:

Code:
      log verbose "C:\Batch\SageD_BCscript_log.txt"
      load "D_SageTV <--> \\SUN\Sage-D-Backup"
      expand all
      select rt.orphan.files
      moveto right path:base \\SUN\Sage-D-Backup\Deleted
      sync mirror:left->right
      The main command script runs as a a scheduled task:

Code:
      echo Starting sync Sage D to SUN | timestamppipe.exe >> C:\Batch\Sync_SageD_to_SUN_log.txt
      rem ****** clean up files on backup drive that were deleted more than 90 days ago
      c:\batch\deleteolderthan.exe \\SUN\Sage-D-Backup\Deleted\*.* /D90

rem ****** Start a separate process for Beyond Compare Script in parallel 
      start "Exec_SageD_BCsync" "C:\batch\Exec_SageD_BCsync.cmd" 

rem ****** Set the BC Script Process to Low IO Priority  (give a few seconds to launch BC)
      sleep 5
      call Set_BC_Low_IO_Priority.cmd
      The BC Script is run as a separate task "Exec_SageD_BCsync.cmd" from the Start command:

Code:
      set ttextnum=-cc *******
      "C:\Program Files\Beyond Compare 4\BCompare.exe" @C:\Batch\SageD_BCscript.txt /silent
      if errorlevel==1 goto err1
      echo Completed BC Sync -- Sage D to SUN | timestamppipe.exe >> C:\Batch\Sync_SageD_to_SUN_log.txt
      goto end
      :err1
      echo ERROR reported ---- syncing Sage D to SUN | timestamppipe.exe >> C:\Batch\Sync_SageD_to_SUN_log.txt
      echo Sync_SageD_to_SUN Error > C:\Batch\SyncSageD.txt
      Blat C:\Batch\SyncSageD.txt**** %ttextnum%  -server **** -subject "Error BC Sync SageD to SUN"
      :end
      exit
      The IOPriority script "Set_BC_Low_IO_Priority.cmd" looks like this. It uses TaskList and Grep to get the PID of BeyondCompare. The task name function in IOPriorityV1.1.exe does not seem to work, so I had to find a way to derive the PID.

Code:
      tasklist | grep BCompare > c:\batch\bc_task.txt
      for /f "tokens=2" %%a in (c:\batch\bc_task.txt) do set PID2=%%a
      if %PID2%X==X goto err1
      c:\batch\IOPriorityV1.1.exe %PID2% 0
      echo IOPriority set BCompare to Lower Priority | timestamppipe.exe >> C:\Batch\Sync_SageD_to_SUN_log.txt
      goto end
      :err1
      echo ERROR IOPriority Did Not Find BCompare running | timestamppipe.exe >> C:\Batch\Sync_SageD_to_SUN_log.txt
      :end
      Last edited by timg11; 21-Feb-2015, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X