Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Way to copy file names without contents?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Way to copy file names without contents?

I'd like to use the copy or synchronize function in BC4 to create (in a second location) a bunch of zero-length files "representing" the original files, that is, maintaining the folder hierarchy and filenames, but not the contents.

For example, consider a top-level folder with directory structure below, containing HUGE files (maybe .mp4). I want to create a duplicate record of all the MP4 filenames and containing folder structure, but without the HUGE-NESS of the whole thing. I don't need the data, just the fact of what data is there.

Is such a thing possible?

Beyond Compare can't duplicate a file structure as size zero files on the file system. However, if you need to keep a record of a directory listing, use the "Tools > Save Snapshot" command in BC.

A snapshot is a single file that holds directory listing information for a folder structure. It includes file name, relative path to the base folder, size, and modified date. It can optionally include CRC values.

Once you've saved a snapshot file, you can load it like a folder in Beyond Compare. This is useful to track changes to a folder over time.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Way to copy file names without contents?

Okay, thanks for the answer. That works but it is only useful for future use of the data by BC4. I was hoping to use the result with something else. But maybe I should have looked to another tool to do it in the first place. BC4 can do so much though, that it was my first inclination to look for a solution involving it.

Comment

If anyone ever cares to do the same thing I am needing to, I found a great solution to this problem (the problem of copying a folder tree to another location, but with zero-length files).

Robocopy is a command-line tool included with Windows 7 and later that easily does this job:

ROBOCOPY sourcefolder destinationfolder /CREATE /S

/CREATE is the key here as it is what creates the zero-length files

Comment

If anyone ever cares to do the same thing I am needing to, I found a great solution to this problem (the problem of copying a folder tree to another location, but with zero-length essay writers files).
          Robocopy is a command-line tool included with Windows 7 and later that easily does this job:
          ROBOCOPY sourcefolder destinationfolder /CREATE /S
          /CREATE is the key here as it is what creates the zero-length files
          Hello,

Not sure if I understood the Robocopy correctly. I need to work on the assignment for the Data Structures course. And this task consists of several sub-tasks one of which is pulling data from a .dat file. I tried to work with BufferedReader class in Java. But here, it's a completely different thing.
          Last edited by BeeMirror; 24-May-2019, 02:36 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Could you provide more information on the existing data set and how you hope to copy it? BC4 itself works with two sides, and copies files similar to Windows Explorer from a Source to Destination. This forum solution is to perform a similar copy, but to end up with a Folder structure and file listing where the files are Size 0, instead of the full files and their contents. We don't have a method of parsing a .dat file for this creation, and I'm not sure if robocopy supports using a .dat for source information.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
            X