X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ronrayjr
    New User
    • Nov 2014

Make copies of hundreds of home directories

The company I work for has sold two entities and I need to copy the home directories of 274 users to an external usb drive. Can I do this through the command line interface or do I have to go all the way to full blown scripting ? I have tried command line with the network location on the left and the local usb destination on the right with the following parameters:
    /automerge
    /favorleft
    /LRO

the session prompts because the destination folder does not exist.
    Anyone have any examples of how anything similar was accomplished ?
    Thanks
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Automerge and the associated commands are for Text Merge sessions defined from a version control system, and are not supported for folder level functions.

You would need to use either the interface or scripting. I would recommend the interface first, as it would give you a preview of how the actions would take place. Script is an automated method to perform the same set of clicks and actions, mirroring the interface step by step.

Script itself has syntax documented in the Using Beyond Compare -> Script chapter. Each line is performed as a step. You can use something like
    filter "username1\;username2\"
    load "c:\users\" "d:\target\users\"

then either
    select left.all
    copy left->right

or
    sync create-empty update:left->right

Depending on which action you need to take for your files.

Later, we can customize the script to accept a text string to replace any of the literal strings in the script:
    load "%1" "%2"

where the command line is then:
    bcompare.exe "@c:\bscript.txt" "c:\users\user1" "d:\target\users\user1"
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• ronrayjr
      New User
      • Nov 2014

Thank you, I think I can through this now.

Comment

Working...