Feature Request: rsync

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feature Request: rsync

I love Beyond Compare and I think it's one of the utilities I've been using the longest (over a decade!)

One thing I constantly wish it had (and have even asked for in the past...), is the ability to use rsync (preferably over SSH).

There are two main reasons for this:

1. Uploading a file through rsync is atomic, which is important if you're an idiot like me and like to patch production. I have enough traffic that if I use Beyond Compare to upload files, it takes long enough that some requests will get a corrupt file.

2. It would greatly speed up directory comparisons.

Please consider this for BC PRO.

Thanks for the suggestion. Support for rsync is on our wish list for a future version of Beyond Compare.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

+1 for rsync

Dropbox does rsync (or something quite similar). does this mean BC4 won't be able to take advantage of this.

Comment

Hello,

BC4's support for Dropbox directly connects to the service, and then copies entire files. We don't support partial transfers. If you have Dropbox installed, you can copy the full file into the Dropbox directory, at which point the Dropbox application would monitor and transfer however it supports.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Any news on atomic copying? This feature would make Beyond Compare the only tool I'd ever need for all my backup and sync needs. At the moment one of the drawbacks I find with BC is syncing of large files such as VMs and databases. Unless I'm missing something.

Comment

Hello,

Sorry, no new news for this feature. Since Nov 2014, we've released many new features for BC4, including 4.1's 64bit support, but haven't been able to tackle atomic transfers.
            http://www.scootersoftware.com/downl...zz=v4changelog
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
              Hello,

Sorry, no new news for this feature. Since Nov 2014, we've released many new features for BC4, including 4.1's 64bit support, but haven't been able to tackle atomic transfers.
              http://www.scootersoftware.com/downl...zz=v4changelog
              That's quite alright, I will check every now and then

Comment

Working...
              X