• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nikolaus
    Expert
    • Apr 2013

WebDAV shows folders inside themselves

See attached.

This happens for every folder that I can see, including subfolders. All files and folders show up fine (except for the folder listing error in my previous thread). There are just these additional ghost folders, which are unopenable and show 404 errors in the log at the bottom of the window.

I tested with Cyberduck and it doesn't show the ghost folders.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

What type of WebDAV resource are you connecting to? On our own test environment, the server does not show this type of structure, testing with Windows or OSX 10.9 or 10.10.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• mmcfly
      Visitor
      • Mar 2014

I'm experiencing something similar. I mentioned this while it was still in Beta, but it's still doing it in the final version.

When comparing a local folder to one on a WebDAV resource, it correctly compares the folders, then looks for the folder inside of itself on the WebDAV resource and returns a 404 error. It does this after every folder comparison.

Say there is a folder on the WebDAV resource at https://webdav.somewhere.com/folder1/firstfolder. It will correctly compare the folder, then log:

10/16/2014 3:02:14 PM Unable to load https://webdav.somewhere.com/folder1/firstfolder/firstfolder: HTTP error 404: Not Found

Then it will successfully compare the next folder, then repeat the same error using that folder's name.

BTW, my folder names are all integers. Not sure if that makes a difference...

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

We have a potential fix for this in the next release. Please keep an eye our for Check for Updates, and let us know if there is still an issue in 4.0.1.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• ya_shin
          Journeyman
          • Jan 2014

I just upgraded to Pro for the WebDAV feature.

The issue of the folders showing in themselves (but cannot be expanded) is still present in version 4.0.2 (build 19186). However, when comparing the folders I get an even stranger behavior, in that the program seems to keep adding that folder in that duplicated folder and so on, so there is no progress at all.
          So I am seeing
          Main Folder
          |- Subfolder1
          |-Subfolder1
          |-Subfolder1
          |-Subfolder1
          etc.

In the screenshot, there really only should be on folder called #Accounting firm...
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2014-11-20 at 11:23:31.png
Views:	1
Size:	404.3 KB
ID:	76304

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Hello,

Thanks for the report. It would be helpful if we could get a copy of the debug log, by enabling all logging options in the Options dialog, Tweaks, Logging section, then connect, expand the folders, and save the log. This can be emailed to [email protected] with a link back to this forum thread for our reference.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• ya_shin
              Journeyman
              • Jan 2014

Sorry for the late reply, I was away for a few days.

I use the Mac version (sorry for not making that clear) and I enabled all log option unter the Tweaks tab in the Preferences (found this in another thread). Then I set up the session using "Browse using Profile" on one side. I restarted the program and the session several times, but while each time I got the nested folders there was nothing written to the log file... The log in the comparison view also seemed to display no usable information.

The WebDAV setup is very simple, same I am using with the "Finder - Go to server" function, which works fine. Having the "Recursive listings" option checked or not, seemed to make no difference.

I wish I could be more helpful... Let me know if there another debug log that I didn't find yet.

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Hello,

Would it be possible to install and setup Fiddler? It's an application that can monitor and generate an even more detailed debug log as you make remote connections; BC can detect and work with it to create this debug log.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• ya_shin
                  Journeyman
                  • Jan 2014

I'll give it a try. I found Fiddler here, is that the right thing?

Seems I only need to install something called Mono, as I read here, and it should be good to go. However, it also said that the latest version doesn't run Fiddler? I had no success, do you know where to find an older version (3.8.0 or the recommended 3.1.2?)

Comment

• Aaron
                    Team Scooter
                    • Oct 2007

Thanks and that is the correct program. It's much easier to install and run with Windows, but I'll check with one of our developers for how they configured for OSX.

I did manage to dig up a link to the older Downloads from the Bug Report page Comments:
                    https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=23553
                    here (that is not easy to find):
                    http://download.mono-project.com/archive/

Update: 3.1.2 might be the best version to try until a patch can fix the current Mono release.
                    Last edited by Aaron; 31-Dec-2014, 03:28 PM.
                    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• ya_shin
                      Journeyman
                      • Jan 2014

I downloaded Mono 3.1.2 and thanks to that Fiddler 4.4.5.0 starts up just fine (although there is an issue with popup windows not closing).

However, just after starting Fiddler I was hoping it would just begin catching the traffic that happens after I run Beyond Compare and open my WebDAV connection. Unfortunately that seems not to be the case...? If someone at your end (or here in the forum) knows how I see the "log" of the WebDAV communication of Beyond Compare within Fiddler, then I should also be able to send you that report.

Thanks (and sorry for the inconvenience).

P.S.: I did download the latest version of Beyond Compare, Version 4.0.3 (build 19420), which still shows the problem.

Comment

• Aaron
                        Team Scooter
                        • Oct 2007

Hello,

One step that may be needed (that I had trouble configuring as well) is here:
                        http://docs.telerik.com/fiddler/conf...onfigureForMac

In the Network section, Advanced, Proxies tab, however, you may need to use 127.0.0.1 and *not* the IP of the computer as directed.

With this, does Fiddler start to auto-populate the list of detected processes as your perform HTTP actions (with Safari, then BC4 Help -> Check for Updates)?
                        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• ya_shin
                          Journeyman
                          • Jan 2014

Thanks Aaron. I had found that page and didn't realize I could just use 127.0.0.1. I already begun considering to use the virtualization method instead... (I use the free VirtualBox.)

Turned out, that wasn't the main problem though. I originally used HTTPS to connect, and even with "decryption" turned on in Fiddler, it didn't work. However, after I temporarily turned on HTTP for WebDAV I finally received some feedback to Fiddler.

I will send the file to the support e-mail you mentioned on page 1. I will reference this thread, so they know what it refers to.

Comment

• Aaron
                            Team Scooter
                            • Oct 2007

Ah, yes, you would also need to enable the HTTPS traffic options and then use the Export Certificate button, then import the certificate manually into the OS.
                            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• timg11
                              Expert
                              • Apr 2010

Where do I find the options for WEBDAV and HTTPs that you mention? Using BC4 4.0.3 19420, there are no option tabs for a WEBDAV profile under Profiles. Only the "General" tab, which contains URL, user, password, and a checkbox for recursive listings.
                              I have also reviewed all the settings under Tools / Options, and I don't find anything related to HTTPS or WEBDAV.
                              Where are these options set?

Comment

Working...