Feature Requests for v4 and bugs fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feature Requests for v4 and bugs fixes

Back in 2012 I requested a few features and I am hoping that now that version 4 is being worked on these can be added. Thank you in advance.

#1 PAUSE button next to the STOP. Many times I need to PAUSE a transfer because of bandwidth or I need to so something else and have the clock cycles back. It would be extremely nice to have a PAUSE button next to the STOP to pause any transfer.

#2 DELAYED START: It would be extremely nice to have an option to type in a date/time or say 90 minutes for a delayed start of the copying the files. Again this helps with bandwidth issues or doing transfers late at night.

#3 In the registry compare part of the software it takes Beyond Compare an agonizing amount of time when connecting to a REMOTE registry. Using Windows built in REGEDIT and connecting is really fairly fast so it is not a network or permissions issue. I really love this feature in Beyond Compare and was one of the main reason for purchasing it. If there is anything you can do to speed up connecting and comparing remote registries that would be Great!

#4 Possible Bug. I started a 30TB transfer the other day and the software was running the initial compare and after about 2 hours the software closed/exited (doesn't not show up in task manager). I then restarted the software and did not wait for the compare cache and selected Copy to Right... and let it run. Again the software closed after about 2 hours. There maybe an issue with trying to copy that much data??? Run on a Windows 7 64bit machine with 16GB of RAM. Also tried on Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit 64GB of RAM and the same thing happens.

Many thanks for this great software -WS

PAUSE and DELAYED START would result in the licensing of many more copies of BCn at this site!

Comment

@WmHBlair - Thank you -WS

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Requests 1 and 2 are still on our Customer Wishlist.

Issue 3: BC's Registry Compare would be loading the entire tree structure and all of the sub items at once, while RegEdit only loads the top of the tree and the items it needs to display. This could account for the difference in time, depending on how complex of a registry you have. Even a local registry load "reg:\\" takes some time to load the current registry, without a remote connection.

Do you think this might be the factor?

Issue 4: Roughly how many files are in the compare the has 30TB? Our top end test cases end around 2.5 million individual files. We have had reports of customers successfully testing more, but this is hardware/machine specific.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Aaron....so many thanks for your reply.

Issues #1, and 2...please please and fingers crossed they get added.

Issue #3, Yes the local Registry is slow to load too. Humm, is there anyway to speed that up? I know this is a difficult feature and I thank you so much for it. I use it all the time especially with all the XP to Windows 7 machine upgrades. Many times this is the ONLY way to get a specially loaded by the vendor software (now out of business) to reinstall on Windows 7.

Issue #4, I am way over the 2.5 million files. There are probably something like 1 trillion files total. So even with 64GB of RAM on a 64bit system we still will have a limit? Many a request for a 64bit version of the software???

Thank you for this amazing software -WS

Comment

We wouldn't be able to speed it up to the point of RegEdit, as RegEdit is only actually loading a small section. Optimizing and improving our load times (across viewers) is something we look into.

A 64bit version is something else on our radar. A trillion is *way* over our max test cases. File Filters might help, but I would recommend trying to cut the comparison into smaller parts with subfolders as basefolders.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Aaron...thank you so much for your replies. Fingers crossed for 64bit and #1 and #2. Heck you never know reviewing the Registry code might lead you to something...hopeful. I know reviewing code has lead me to something when I re-work my programming projects.

If I catch BC before it crashes I might be able to give you a new MAX number of files BC will handle. Keep up the great work. I recommend this software to everyone I know that needs to do compares....they love it! -WS

Comment

Handling this many files might just be well over our current or near-future handling, regardless of tips or tricks. Something like rsync might work better.

Update: Talked with a developer and he suggested investigating Robocopy.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Regarding load time for Registry compare, I find it much faster to use the browse dialog in BC and navigate to the desired Base area, rather than letting BC load the entire registry.

Does this help?
                  Tim T Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                    Regarding load time for Registry compare, I find it much faster to use the browse dialog in BC and navigate to the desired Base area, rather than letting BC load the entire registry.

Does this help?
                    Tim, this is a bit better but not great. I downloaded a few other 3rd party registry editors and they all work really fast. I am not sure what Aaron means by they are loading the whole registry and that is why it is so slow. Some of the 3rd party software's load more than just the built in regedit does and they load the whole thing in just a few seconds. I guess I am a bit confused as to what the difference is. Hopefully they will look at it and improve it if possible. -WS

Comment

Hello,

Sorry for the confusion. To quickly sum up: this is something we'd like to improve

To clarify: When regedit loads your registry, only the nodes displayed need to be loaded. When you expand a folder, there is a slight delay as it then builds what you are expanding and then displays it. The delay is often very slight, as what it is building is still a small subset of the overall registry.

Since BC3 is comparing and displaying the folder compare colors all the way down the tree, we have to build everything up front, which takes some time.
                      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                        Hello,

Sorry for the confusion. To quickly sum up: this is something we'd like to improve

To clarify: When regedit loads your registry, only the nodes displayed need to be loaded. When you expand a folder, there is a slight delay as it then builds what you are expanding and then displays it. The delay is often very slight, as what it is building is still a small subset of the overall registry.

Since BC3 is comparing and displaying the folder compare colors all the way down the tree, we have to build everything up front, which takes some time.
                        Many many thanks for the detailed explanation. Thank you for wanting to improve this. -WS

Comment

Robocopy has it's issues also. I use it and RSYNC, and I have not had any isues with RSYNC.

Comment

Working...
                          X