X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sghammond
    Visitor
    • May 2006

Picture Compare -- Adopt diff modes from The Compressonator

I would love to see Beyond Compare adopt these three key capabilities that keep me using The Compressonator (a free tool from AMD) as my go-to image differencing tool, instead of Beyond Compare:

Mirror the user pointer to show it's position in all three image panes, so you can see your detail-info location easily by eye within each image.

Support an alternate "Flip Mode", that hides the diff panel, and provides a hotkey to flip quickly and cleanly back and forth between the first and second image. This is really helpful for subjective image quality comparison (no blanking, tearing, or other artifacts duing the flip).

Support a difference image constructed from the absolute value of the color channel differences between the first and second images, with 'diff brightening'.

Base image in difference panel is computed by computing the absolute value of the difference per color channel (red, blue, green) for each pixel in the first and second images.

E.g. for typical 8-bit color images, if a pixel in the first and second images differs only in the green channel by 2, the corresponding pixel in the diff image have a green value of 2, and red and blue values of zero.

For images with subtle differences, this results in a dim image, but the base diff image can be brightened by multiplying the diff values by 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256. The maximum brightness multiplier ensures that even a 1-unit difference would be enhanced to be shown as maximum brightness.

Code:
    8-bit RGB images example pixel diff:

Color       -------------------------------------------------------
    Channel      1     2    Diff @ 1x Brightness  Diff @ 64x Brightness
    ---------   ----  ----  --------------------  ---------------------
    Red           10    11     1                    64
    Green         10     8     3                   192
    Blue           5    10     5                   255 (clamped from 320)
    The Compressonator can be found here:

http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-s...ompressonator/
    Last edited by sghammond; 21-Mar-2014, 07:20 PM. Reason: Clean up table headings.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Thanks for these suggestions and details. I'll add them to our Customer Wishlist and we can check this out!
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Aaron
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

Actually, we have the flip mode. It's in the BC4 Picture Compare, in the Blend mode (display filter), in the bottom pane there is the Blend slider, which controls the gradient of exposure. Next to it is the Toggle button, which quickly toggles between entirely one picture or the other. It doesn't currently support a hotkey, but we'll look into getting one setup.

Does this feature meet your needs for the 'flip' criteria?
      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• sghammond
        Visitor
        • May 2006

It's nice to have the hotkey -- less brain cells keeping the mouse on target, more brain cells doing pattern recognition. But it's not essential. I would say the most important feature of a flip mechanism is that it flip cleanly from one image to the other, without any distracting 'tearing' flickering or repainting artifacts.

Comment

Working...