Compare long lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compare long lines

Text compare shows at most 4096 characters on a line when opening a file for comparison, although I can then delete the new line characters to make the text appear once again on one line. This causes changes to the beginning of a long the line of text to appear as if the characters beyond 4096 have also changed. When using this for comparing a file in source control, I can delete the inserted new line characters at the end of my "working copy" file, so that all the text appears on one line, as it should, but the file that is in source control can't be altered and displays as if it was on multiple lines in source control (the Blame operation in TortoiseSVN shows that the file in the repository does in fact still have a long line of text).

Thanks for posting.

BC4's default line length is 4096, but this is configurable and you can increase it if your files should have a longer one set. This is controlled in the Tools menu -> File Formats, select your format, and then in the Conversion tab increase the "characters per line limit" value.

When configured, line breaks are important to the comparison, but the line limit shouldn't be introducing line breaks into your files that are creating differences.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Thank you for your post. I searched online, but seemed to have used the wrong search terms.

Yes the new line characters weren't introduce, but it would be nice to have the wrapped lines not have a line number to show that the new line characters aren't a part of the original text.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. We currently aren't doing anything too fancy with the introduced line breaks, but wrapping the comparison is on our wishlist.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
        X