Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparing git branches using folder diff

Hi,

I've managed to use Beyond Compare for comparing branches using the folder diff, by launching the following command:

Code:
    $ git difftool -d branch_1..branch_2
    for instance when comparing my current branch and the latest on master

Code:
    $ git difftool -d master..HEAD
    The folder diff view comes up and I get a great comparison, but double-clicking on the files doesn't work. For some reason, bcomp.exe can't find the temporary versions ("The system cannot find the path specified").

I have set up my git config using the instructions in the FAQ, and I'm running Windows 10 via Git Bash.

Code:
    diff.tool=bc3
    difftool.bc3.path=c:/Program Files (x86)/Beyond Compare 3/bcomp.exe
    difftool.bc3.trustexitcode=true
    difftool.prompt=false

merge.tool=bc3
    mergetool.bc3.path=c:/Program Files (x86)/Beyond Compare 3/bcomp.exe
    mergetool.bc3.trustexitcode=true
    I have however noticed that if I change the path "../bcomp.exe" to "../BCompare.exe" the diff of distinct files by clicking on them work correctly. Is this a bug, or should the FAQ be updated? Or have I done something else incorrectly?

Hello,

BC3's Folder Compare does not support process waiting, which can be an issue for Version Control software that supports a folder diff view. It is working for you using BCompare but only while that is the only window or tab, and there are no previous windows or tabs running. If any others were running, or you open more mid-process, you'll start to see either the same failure as bcomp.exe or not releasing until all windows and tabs are closed.

BC4's Folder Compare does support waiting, and works with the above configuration. You can try it out with the fully functional trial to be sure it meets your needs before any purchase is necessary. On Windows, you can also install the BC4 trial without removing or altering BC3.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
      Hello,

BC3's Folder Compare does not support process waiting, which can be an issue for Version Control software that supports a folder diff view. It is working for you using BCompare but only while that is the only window or tab, and there are no previous windows or tabs running. If any others were running, or you open more mid-process, you'll start to see either the same failure as bcomp.exe or not releasing until all windows and tabs are closed.

BC4's Folder Compare does support waiting, and works with the above configuration. You can try it out with the fully functional trial to be sure it meets your needs before any purchase is necessary. On Windows, you can also install the BC4 trial without removing or altering BC3.
      Thank you!

Comment

Working...
      X