Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BC3 and TortoiseSVN: compare a revision with the working copy

Dear All,
    I am using BC3 with Tortoise SVN from several years. I set the Diff and Merge Tools as external, as described in the documentation.

So I have:
    Diff:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Beyond Compare 3\BCompare.exe" %base %mine /title1=%bname /title2=%yname /leftreadonly

Merge:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Beyond Compare 3\BCompare.exe" %mine %theirs /savetarget=%merged

When I execute Diff on a sigle file everything is OK with BC.
    Nevertheless when i select a revision->right click->compare to working copy, TortoiseSVN opens TortoiseMerge (which apparently is not set as compare program in the Settings entries).
    Is there a way to make open BC in this case?
    My repository is on a network disk and I am not using an svn server (repository path is file://192.168.0.1/etcetc , not svn://etcetc), may the issue be related to this?

Thank you in advance.

Hello,

We have a KB article/guide for configuration, here:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...cs#tortoisesvn

You will want to update to use Bcomp.exe instead of Bcompare.exe, and there are extra variables to define in the Merge line. Does matching this setup guide help get it working? Are you using the latest version of TortoiseSVN?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Thank you Aaron.
      I update the settings to use Bcomp.exe. The merge line parameters, for the 2-way mode, looks right to me. I am using the latest version of tortoiseSVN (1.11.028416).
      After that I have also the same issue. Maybe is a problem of tortoiseSVN?

I have a BC3 license, but I installed the 30 days evaluation of BC4 and tried this. Unfortunately this does not fix.

Last edited by p3r3gr1nus; 11-Jan-2019, 02:34 AM.

Comment

Hello,

Is your BC3 license for Std or Pro edition? And are you running BC4 in Std or Pro mode (Help menu -> About)? In the trial of BC4, you will want to be in Pro mode (restart needed if toggled), and verify the Text Merge session button is present on the Home screen as a view type.

Would it be possible to get a full screen screenshot of your TortoiseSVN settings section? You can post here or email us at support@scootersoftware.com including a link back to this forum thread for our reference.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Thank you again for the support Aaron.
          I have sthe standard version of BC3, and the trial (pro) version of BC4.
          With BC3 the Text Merge session button is NOT present. In BC4 the Text Merge option IS present.

Below some screenshot of the TortoiseSVN settings.
          Since the the whole line is not visible I write it again here:

for Compare:
          "C:\Programmi\Beyond Compare 4\BComp.exe" %base %mine /title1=%bname /title2=%yname /leftreadonly

For Merge:
          "C:\Programmi\Beyond Compare 4\BComp.exe" %mine %theirs %base %merged /title1=%yname /title2=%tname /title3=%bname /title4=%mname

In Tortose SVN I do the following:
          1) SVN Show Log
          2) Select a revision
          3) Compare with Working copy

The link to the scrreenshots:
          https://www.dropbox.com/s/ptq3xigc8u...tings.zip?dl=1

Comment

Hello,

Standard Edition is not going to work with 4 parameters since the "Text Merge" session type is needed for 3 inputs and a 4th output pane. There are workarounds in the KB article to use the 2-way Text Compare and an overridden SaveTarget (without an ancestor) to merge using an older version, but these instructions are originally for BC2 (which only supported 2 way), while Text Merge was created specifically for this case.

If you right click specific files in Windows Explorer and attempt to Diff or Merge, you should see that BComp.exe is launching as expected. However, the Show Log specifically is working with Patch files, and the Compare with Working Copy command has a listing of files it shows on the left side. If you also configure BC4 as the Patch Viewer, then the "Compare as Unified Diff" command from Show Log will immediately launch BC4, while if you use Compare with Working Copy will launch the built-in List view (and also show TortoiseMerge for the current selection). This is under the control of TortoiseSVN and how it chooses to call to external tools, probably due to how it wants to present the List view for this specific command.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Thank you Aaron. You made your point. TortoiseSVN does not allow to use an external Tool such as BC to compare a previous revision with the working copy. The only workaround I find is to checkout the previous revision on a temporary directory and then compare this with the working copy using beyond compare.
              Thank you for the support.
              Mario

Comment

Working...
              X