using BC3 with AccuRev

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shatfield

using BC3 with AccuRev

My development team uses AccuRev for SCM, and it appears to have BC2 support... but I need to figure out how to integrate BC3 with it, including the merge tool.

Any ideas?

TIA,
    -Steven
  • Michael Bulgrien
    Carpal Tunnel
    • Oct 2007

Try this:

Open Tools --> Preferences

On the Diff/Merge tab, enter the following command lines:

Compare
    "C:\Program Files\Beyond Compare 3\BComp.exe" %1% %2% /title1=%3% /title2=%4%

Merge (3-Way: BC3 Professional)
    "C:\Program Files\Beyond Compare 3\BComp.exe" %1% %2% %a% %o% /title1=%4% /title2=%5% /title3=%3%

Merge (2-Way: BC3 Standard)
    "C:\Program Files\Beyond Compare 3\BComp.exe" %1% %2% /savetarget=%o% /title1=%4% /title2=%5%
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• Dave Merrill
      Visitor
      • Nov 2009

What version of AccuRev is this for? We're on 4.6.1 (still...), and every Diff With Backed says file not found.

Left pane points here: C:\Documents and Settings\<myname>\Local Settings\Temp\cat2274<filename>, which does exist, now.

Right one points to the correct file in this workspace, which does exist.

Middle pane here: C:\Program Files\AccuRev\bin\(<streamname>). Don't know what that's supposed to be, or why there is a middle pane at all for a simple Diff With Backed. I'd guess that this is the problem, since the other panes seem right.

Anyone have any ideas? I confess to not diving into the BC cmd line for a very long time.

This is on xp sp3.

Thanks for any help,
      d

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
        Carpal Tunnel
        • Oct 2007

I do not have AccuRev...and have never used it. The command lines above were suggested based on my knowledge of BC3 and the information found here:

http://www.accurev.com/download/docs...User_Prefs.htm

Sorry, I can't provide any additional assistance without actually having an environment to test in.
        BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
          Carpal Tunnel
          • Oct 2007

"Diff With Backed" sounds like a compare function, not a merge function. If that is the case, there should be no middle pane. Are you sure you used the shorter command line above to define the Compare command line in AccuRev?

If none of your panes were loading correctly, I'd try enclosing your path variables in double-quotes... but, from your description, that does not seem to be the case.

2-way Compare (Diff):
          "C:\Program Files\Beyond Compare 3\BComp.exe" "%1%" "%2%" /title1=%3% /title2=%4%
          Last edited by Michael Bulgrien; 20-Nov-2009, 05:12 PM.
          BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

• Dave Merrill
            Visitor
            • Nov 2009

Hmmm, I'm pretty much certain I put the various cmd lines where they belong. I just tried your quoted version, same behavior.

Odd. May be because this isn't the current version of AccuRev.

Can't spend any more time on this for now, but thanks again for your help.

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Let us know if you have more time to troubleshoot the issue later.

Here is our KB article listing several Version Control solutions:
              http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...?zz=kb_vcs.php

You need to determine what AccuRev defines as the parameters for your version, and then pass them to Bcomp.exe as BComp.exe $(TrunkFile/Left) $(BranchFile/Right) $(AncestorFile/Center) $(OutputFile)
              If it is just a 2 way compare, then BComp.exe $(TrunkFile/Left) $(BranchFile/Right)
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Dave Merrill
                Visitor
                • Nov 2009

Some good news, and some less so.

At least with this (non-current) version of AccuRev, its Diff preset for BeyondCompare V2 works fine. So, I'm a fairly happy camper, right out of the box.

Unfortunately, it doesn't have any BC presets for Merge, but that'll keep for another day.

Thanks again.

Comment

• Dave Merrill
                  Visitor
                  • Nov 2009

Actually, it appears that I'm an idjit. On the machine where I tried using the BC2 accurev preset, I actually had BC2 still installed, as well as BC3. When I tried on a machine without BC2, it does not work.

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
                    Carpal Tunnel
                    • Oct 2007

Since AccuRev has a BC2 preset, have you tried asking them for a BC3 preset?
                    BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

• Aaron
                      Team Scooter
                      • Oct 2007

Hello,

I installed the trial of the latest version and found I could type into the dropdown:
                      Code:
                      "C:\Program Files (x86)\Beyond Compare 3\BComp.exe" %1% %2%
                      The %variables% already include quotes, according to the documentation, and I found that on a 64bit OS I needed to explicitly state that it was in the x86 version of Program Files. I also needed quotes around from C:\ to .exe.

With this I could get Diffs working. Does your version support this?
                      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Aaron
                        Team Scooter
                        • Oct 2007

You guys should contact them making a request for them to add the preset for their Diff for BC3 and Merge for BC3 Pro.

I just sent them an email about it as well.
                        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Chris
                          Team Scooter
                          • Oct 2007

I updated our version control page with instructions for AccuRev.

http://www.scootersoftware.com/support.php?zz=kb_vcs

The instructions were tested as working with AccuRev 4.7.4.
                          Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• coyote777
                            New User
                            • Apr 2011

Win7

I imagine some of your users are on Windows 7.

You may wish to test these paths for Windows 7 and update your "Using Beyond Compare with Version Control Systems" page. Win7 has a slightly different path.

Windows7 Diff: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Beyond Compare 3\BComp.exe" %1% %2%
                            Windows7 Merge: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Beyond Compare 3\BComp.exe" %1% %2%

Comment

• Chris
                              Team Scooter
                              • Oct 2007

The "C:\program files (x86)" is specific to 64-bit Windows, not to Windows 7. 32-bit Windows 7 still uses "c:\program files". I'll add a note to the version control page.
                              Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...