X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ScottLangham
    Visitor
    • May 2010

Warn about unresolved conflicts

I'm evaluating Beyond Compare 3.1.11.12204 as my diff tool for VisualStudio and TFS. When 3 way merging a file, it showed up as having conflicts. Accidentally I thought I had resolved all conflicts and saved and closed Beyond Compare. It turns out, I had missed a couple of conflicts and Beyond Compare had selected to use the base/original versions of the conflicting lines.

My previous tool (KDiff3) would warn me about unresolved conflicts when I tried to save so that I couldn't make this mistake.

Does Beyond Compare 3 have an option that would make it warn if there are unresovled conflicts and I tried to save the file? If not, can it have this in the future?
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello Scott,

Beyond Compare 3 does not have an warning pop-up when attempting to save. We do not automatically de-select the conflict status when you pick a side; so you would need to manually resolve a conflict first. We show the number of conflict sections detected in the lower left status bar and we have keyboard shortcuts and toolbar buttons for navigating between conflict sections.

Would an optional warning be sufficient knowing that you would need to resolve the conflict status manually after each section copy?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• ScottLangham
      Visitor
      • May 2010

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I see what you mean about having to manually mark conflicts as resolved. It's nice to be able to see how many conflict sections there are in the status bar.

Well, yes an optional warning about unresolved conflicts could be useful. I guess I can assign a shortcut key to mark the conflicts as resolved. It would be even more useful if conflicts could be automatically marked as resolved when a side is picked. I think the only reason I'd be picking a side would be to resolve the conflict so that makes some sense doesn't it?

I suppose you wouldn't be able to navigate back to a conflict if you'd already marked it as resolved, but that's probably ok.

-Scott

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello Scott,

I can add this to our Customer Wishlist. Do you use keyboard shortcuts or the buttons in the gutter? Where do you set your output to save to: a new file or replace an existing side?
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• ScottLangham
          Visitor
          • May 2010

Well, I started off with the buttons in the gutter, but as I use the product more, I expect to be learning shortcuts so I can do most operations without using the mouse.

Erm, I'm using a standard VisualStudio/TFS 3way merge command line I found on the web. I think the output replaces an existing side.

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Would you be referring to the instructions found here?:
            http://www.scootersoftware.com/support.php?zz=kb_vcs
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• KeithS
              Visitor
              • Dec 2012

I second the request.

I want to know if all the conflicts are not satisfied.

I want the return code to be a nonzero if conflicts still exist.

Related, but slightly different... I may not be able to resolve all the conflicts for a session at the current time. With older systems like diff3 one could leave the CVS style markers behind as a reminder that this chunk of code needs further attention. With the output of Beyond Compare from an interactive session there is no indication of the location of any unresolved conflicts either left behind on purpose or by accident.

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll add these notes to our wishlist entry on the subject.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• slessard
                  Enthusiast
                  • Jan 2011

Did this requested feature ever get added to any version of BC?

Comment

• Aaron
                    Team Scooter
                    • Oct 2007

Not yet. We do not have a pop up dialog to warn if conflicts still exist. We do show a summary in the bottom status bar that states the number of conflicts, so you can check there to verify it is 0 before saving and closing.
                    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• larryhujob
                      New User
                      • Feb 2016

Originally posted by Aaron
                      Not yet. We do not have a pop up dialog to warn if conflicts still exist. We do show a summary in the bottom status bar that states the number of conflicts, so you can check there to verify it is 0 before saving and closing.
                      What is the latest status of this feature? Is there a way to tell conflicts exist besides status bar?

Comment

• Aaron
                        Team Scooter
                        • Oct 2007

The status bar and the Prev/Next Conflict buttons will be colored if there is a conflict, as well as the gutter area of the input panes and the full Thumbnail preview in the Output pane. Issuing the Next Conflict command would also immediately navigate to the first conflict, or you can set an option to go to the first difference on load. Also, the Display Filter Show Conflicts can also be used to quickly limit the view to only conflict sections.

A dialog pop-up to warn of conflicts is still on our wishlist. There are several preview methods and commands that can be used to find them in the current release.
                        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• jhv@kamstrup.com
                          Visitor
                          • Jan 2020

Originally posted by Aaron
                          What is the latest status on this feature?

Comment

• Aaron
                            Team Scooter
                            • Oct 2007

Hello,

BC4 does not support a prompt, and the user must manually review the conflict count in the bottom status bar. It is still an item on our wishlist.
                            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• slessard
                              Enthusiast
                              • Jan 2011

Almost 14 years later Beyond Compare 5.0 beta (build 28983) still does not have this feature. :-(

Comment

Working...