• Show
Clear All
  • chrisjj
    Carpal Tunnel
    • Apr 2008

13298 Mystery mismatch

Can anyone tell me why here

1) the left side shows the s as mismatched
    2) the right side does not show \30s\Loud\ as unimportant?

And how to remedy.

Thanks.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Could you attach a full screen screenshot and include the View menu -> Aligned Details at the bottom of the pane. This will show us how the text is aligned.

If you are still having any trouble, please email us a pair of sample files, your current Support package from the Help menu -> Support; Export, and include a link back to this forum post for reference. Thanks.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
      Carpal Tunnel
      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Aaron
      Could you attach a full screen screenshot and include the View menu -> Aligned Details at the bottom of the pane.
      Thanks Aaron - here it is:

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Thanks, Chris.

It looks like our intra-line algorithm is having trouble with that line, and is aligning the "s" in an unexpected place. I've added this text as a test case/scenario for us to look at.

There is not a way to change this alignment in the current version. As a workaround, you can instead define \30s\Loud\ as a grammar item and mark it as Unimportant.
        If it is an adhoc comparison, you can manually verify the difference on this line and then Ignore it.

Do these workarounds help with your comparison of these two files?
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
          Carpal Tunnel
          • Apr 2008

> It looks like our intra-line algorithm is having trouble with that line, and is
          > aligning the "s" in an unexpected place. I've added this text as a test
          > case/scenario for us to look at.

OK, thanks.

> As a workaround, you can instead define \30s\Loud\ as a grammar item
          > and mark it as Unimportant.

OK... but it is already marked as Unimportant - by a Replacement. Hence my question, why:

2) the right side does not show \30s\Loud\ as unimportant?

Any ideas?

> If it is an adhoc comparison, you can manually verify the difference
          > on this line and then Ignore it.

Thanks, by the comparison is not ad-hoc, and this mismatch occurs on too many lines (approx. one hundred) for manual to be affordable.
          Last edited by chrisjj; 20-Apr-2011, 03:10 PM.

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Hello Chris,

The replacements work as a pair, when a specific section of text then matches to another section of text. The "s" appearing aligned in the middle of the statement is throwing this off.

If defined as an Unimportant grammar item, then it only needs to work with one side, and "\30s\Loud" can be marked as unimportant text on its own.
            http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo..._unimportantv3
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
              Carpal Tunnel
              • Apr 2008

It looks like our intra-line algorithm is having trouble with that line, and is aligning the "s" in an unexpected place. I've added this text as a test case/scenario for us to look at.
              Since the results seem to be unstable, this different result (mismatch on 0 rather than s) may also be useful to you:

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/1543/regionm.png

Comment

• chrisjj
                Carpal Tunnel
                • Apr 2008

The replacements work as a pair, when a specific section of text then matches to another section of text. The "s" appearing aligned in the middle of the statement is throwing this off.
                I'm finding the replacement text's failure to show as Unimportant is occuring even with the sides edited to remove the false alignment: http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/7317/region.png

Can you tell me why this replacement text fails to show as Unimportant?

Interestingly deleting "R:" from right side (whether by editing the side or setting a Replacement) avoids this failure. And avoids the original wayward alignment.
                Last edited by chrisjj; 18-May-2011, 09:41 AM.

Comment

• Aaron
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

Hi Chrisjj,

Thanks for the screenshot. I tried recreating your files manually by typing out that line, but I'm not seeing the same behavior (alignment details) as you are. Please email us:
                  1) A pair of sample files
                  2) Your current support.zip (Help menu -> Support; Export)
                  3) A link back to this forum post for reference.

Thanks.
                  Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
                    Carpal Tunnel
                    • Apr 2008

I'm surprised Aaron. I get the fail with this simple test:

1 Click Start New Session, Text Compare
                    2 Enter in left \Curtain\2480002928225-1-5 and right R:\Curtain\30s\Loud\2480002928225-1-5
                    3 In Session Settings, enter the Replacement right \30s\Loud\ to left \
                    4 Inspect right \30s\Loud\

Expected: Unimportant blue
                    Observed: Important red - see http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/2293/regionv.png

Comment

• Aaron
                      Team Scooter
                      • Oct 2007

Hello,

Thanks for the easy to copy and paste text. Using the Open Clipboard to saving them to files I still see different text alignment results than your first screenshot. With this example, the first \ is not aligned at the front, so there is no "\" to match on. Your initial screenshot, however, shows different alignment details where the first \ is aligned to the front. I would need the requested files in order to try and reproduce that behavior.
                      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrisjj
                        Carpal Tunnel
                        • Apr 2008

Thanks for the easy to copy and paste text. Using the Open Clipboard to saving them to files I still see different text alignment results than your first screenshot.
                        Apologies - I have confused the issue(s) by reporting a second bug in this same thread. I have rereported separately under an an accurate Subject at http://www.scootersoftware.com/vbull...9832#post29832

... Your initial screenshot, however, shows different alignment details where the first \ is aligned to the front. I would need the requested files in order to try and reproduce that behavior.
                        OK... will do. Thanks.
                        Last edited by chrisjj; 18-May-2011, 04:53 PM.

Comment

• chrisjj
                          Carpal Tunnel
                          • Apr 2008

At http://www.scootersoftware.com/vbull...40&postcount=5 Aaron wrote:

This is the screenshot I was referring to, but now that I re-review it I see the trouble it is having:
                          http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/1543/regionm.png

The 0's alignment is probably the cause. If you send in sample files I can add them to our test cases.
                          OK, I have made a stripped-down test case showing that same "0" unexpected alignment (with no Replacement):

and emailed the BCsupport.zip and left and right files.
                          Last edited by chrisjj; 20-May-2011, 11:00 AM.

Comment

• chrisjj
                            Carpal Tunnel
                            • Apr 2008

Now, returning to my first question (i.e. regardless of the issues of a) failure of Unimportant marking and b) unexpected alignment), why does the left side shows the s as mismatched (red) as opposed to matched (black), here:

Thanks.

Comment

• Aaron
                              Team Scooter
                              • Oct 2007

Hello Chris,

That specific coloring is because BC3 does not color single character matches (checker-boarding). If it did match and color it, the "s\30s\Loud" would have a single black character in it, which would make it harder to read. It is a design and presentation decision and intentional behavior.
                              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...