X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • istaines@rsasecurity.com
    Visitor
    • Feb 2009

Feature Request: bookmarks in overview

The bookmarks feature is useful for targeting places in the compare you want to be able to quickly go back to. In a huge document they tend to get lost however.

Would it be possible to put some kind of coloured marker in the comparison overview srolling area on the left margin for each bookmark? It only needs to be a pixel or so in size.

This would help in understanding the relationship between your bookmarks and quickly going to them.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Bookmarks are designed more to be accessed with the menu command or keyboard shortcuts (Default: Ctrl+Number) to quickly hop between them. Is your request to add bookmarks to the Thumbnail View?

Could you go into more detail on how you use bookmarks? How are you using BC where you want to scroll and find the bookmarks rather than use the keyboard shortcut to navigate straight to it? The details will help clarify the Wishlist entry.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
      Carpal Tunnel
      • Oct 2007

Personally, I think the Search -> Goto Bookmark dialog could provide more context about each saved bookmark. For example, listing the line number(s) and the context of the bookmark... perhaps the first x number of non-whitespace charaters on the bookmarked line(s)
      BC v4.0.7 build 19761
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I've added them to the wishlist. If you can provide any specifics to the previous questions, I can add those to the entry as well.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• istaines@rsasecurity.com
          Visitor
          • Feb 2009

Yes my request was to have some indication in the "thumbnail view" for bookmarks.

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Yes. I added both requests as notes to our Customer Wishlist.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• jho1965dk
              Journeyman
              • Apr 2007

I would like to have some indication in the "thumbnail view" for bookmarks too

Usual it is easier for me to remember the approximately location in the file than the id of the bookmark. Usual I just remeber the "pattern" in the thumbnail but sometimes the pattern is not unique enough for that approach.

I am on BC 4.1.3 (build 20814) 64-bit pro

Thanks
              Jens

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Thanks for the feedback. I'll add these notes to our entry on the subject. Our wishlist is not currently scheduled development, but a place our developers go for ideas for future features and enhancements.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...