Poor responsivity during compare

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

> The other issue it may be is if something in the foreground
    > thread is taking longer than it should.

FAOD, if 10-20s is longer than expected... what's expected?

> Try changing your display filter to "Show All", turning off "Ignore Unimportant Differences",

Was already.

> hiding the thumbnail

Done.

> and/or turning on the "Lines are independant" option in the File Format dialog.

The File Info bar says "default" and presuming (since it is unlabelled and AFAICS undocumented) this refers to the file format, I checked File Formats "Edit file format defaults: Text Format", where I see "[ ] Lines are independant".

>If any of those fix the issue we can look into what's taking so long.

They don't.

Have you tested this at your end?

Comment

> FAOD, if 10-20s is longer than expected... what's expected?

I don't consider 10-20s to be expected. The whole idea behind BC being "heavily multi-threaded" is to avoid situations like this. I'll discuss it with Chris and Aaron on Monday.

> Have you tested this at your end?

No. I was on vacation last week; I'll look into it further when I'm in the office Monday or Tuesday. I just figured I'd get some preliminary work out of the way now.

FWIW, I believe this is an anomoly. DorothyFan1 did not say he had encountered it, and if it was pervasive I'd hope someone would have mentioned it already. I know we have a number of users who regularly compare files that large. In any case, BC should stay responsive regardless of the size of the files or whether you have 1 core or 10. If it doesn't I consider it a bug.
      ZoŽ P Scooter Software

Comment

> I don't consider 10-20s to be expected.

So what do you expect?

> The whole idea behind BC being "heavily multi-threaded" is to avoid
        > situations like this.

Good to hear.

> Have you tested this at your end?

No. I was on vacation last week; I'll look into it further when I'm in the office Monday or Tuesday.

OK, thanks!

> FWIW, I believe this is an anomoly. ... if it was pervasive I'd hope
        > someone would have mentioned it already.

I'd hope that of the many issues that I have been first to report here

Good luck in investigating this.

Comment

I'm keeping my eyes on this thread. I think this one may end up being very important. And no...I haven't experienced anything like this as described. But just reading about this has me concerned...because if I have a lot of files I need to compare with...this could end up being an issue I didn't consider before.

Comment

Just my 2 cents:

I have tested the described scenario on a rather old machine here.
            Windows XP SP2, AMD Athlon XP 1600+, 1,25 Gb RAM.
            Created a 178 MB text file on the desktop and let BC 3.1.7 compare it to itself.

Other Apps: Opera and 1 maximized explorer window open.

The compare finished in 2:07 min.
            During that time I cycled through these 3 apps with Alt+Tab and mini- and maximized the involved windows by clicking on the taskbar.

Result:
            At no time it took longer than 2-3 seconds to see the next redraw or dialog action of BC3.

Bye
            Christoph

Comment

Hello,

I setup a 1.4 ghz machine with 512 ram and did not encounter any unresponsive behavior. The files compared where heavily differenced, around 280 megs in size. I was able to flip between tabs and change display filters with at most a second of delay. I was able to maximize and minimize and it would paint immediately.

The issue you are running into is more specific with your hardware or software configuration. If you have another test you would like us to try, please let us know.
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...
              X