Inplace editing causes incorrect comparisons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inplace editing causes incorrect comparisons

Apparently editing the files in a text comparison panel quickly mixes up the comparison engine, resulting in situations like this. The two panels contents are identical, but BC 3.1.3.10374 is showing differences. At another time it found many fake differences, when there were only a few, after a panel edit.

Is this a known bug? Is a fix planned?

Thanks,
    offbyone

The BC editor does not re-align when you are editing a file. This is by design. Therefore, when you insert a line, it appears as inserted (with null/empty lines appearing on the other side). You can easily re-align your text by right-clicking on the first of your inserted lines on the left (first blank line), choosing "Align With..." from the context menu, then clicking on the first of your inserted lines on the right (first blank line).

The key is to do the manual re-align on the first line of your mis-aligned text. You might be tempted to manually align the testmessage, but doing so would leave the blank lines above it in their currently mis-aligned state.

That being said, several users (myself included) have requested an option to realign the entire loaded text compare (or a selected portion of it) without losing changes and without requiring a save or reload of the files. I am hoping that this has already been added to the infamous customer wish list.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Bulgrien View Post
      That being said, several users (myself included) have requested an option to realign the entire loaded text compare (or a selected portion of it) without losing changes and without requiring a save or reload of the files.
      Both of these are already supported:
      • Session -> Recompare Files realigns the entire files.
      • Edit -> Align With... supports aligning selected line ranges.
      Erik Scooter Software

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
        Both of these are already supported:
        Great! I thought I remembered the Scooter team saying it would be implemented, but somehow I missed it when it actually was.

• Edit -> Align With... supports aligning selected line ranges.
        However, I don't consider alignment to be a Edit function. I would think that the View drop-down menu would be a more appropriate home for this feature. Had it been there, I would have found it... because that is where I looked for it before answering offbyone's post.
        BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

Thanks.
          Hmm, ok, by design. How about a selectable option to do automatic realigning/recomparison during edit?
          I would like to see only the actual differences, updated on the fly, just like one of the concurrent applications (ahem) does.
          - offbyone

Comment

• Session -> Recompare Files realigns the entire files.
            offbyone: Note that a Recompare Files button can be added to your toolbar from Tools \ Customize Commands...
            BC v4.0.7 build 19761

Comment

Working...
            X