Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GreenMoose

File specific replacement rules?

(3.0.4 build 8855)
    A) Is there a way to make replacement rules file specific?
    E.g. I want a replacement for "Registry Dumps" to treat Wow6432 keys as comments so I can filter them out with "unimportant differences", but for e.g. text files I don't want this replacement to be done.

B) "Swap sides" does not seem to refresh current view according to the replacement rules, i.e. I must manuallly refresh after a swap to get replacements to show/not show on left/right side.

Thanks.

*Edit: Don't know if B) is by design or a bug, but I actually prefer it as it is now, i.e. without "auto-refresh".
    Last edited by Guest; 08-Sep-2008, 03:45 AM.
  • Erik
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Originally posted by GreenMoose
    A) Is there a way to make replacement rules file specific?
    E.g. I want a replacement for "Registry Dumps" to treat Wow6432 keys as comments so I can filter them out with "unimportant differences", but for e.g. text files I don't want this replacement to be done.
    Making something a "Comment" and creating a "Replacement" are not the same thing. "Replacements" are a way of saying "apple" on the left is similar to "orange" on the right. They are configurable per session.

B) "Swap sides" does not seem to refresh current view according to the replacement rules, i.e. I must manuallly refresh after a swap to get replacements to show/not show on left/right side.
    *Edit: Don't know if B) is by design or a bug, but I actually prefer it as it is now, i.e. without "auto-refresh".
    Yes, it is by design that we don't recompare after a swap. In a future release, we hope to add an option that specifies the direction of all replacements which will make recomparing irrelevant.
    Erik Scooter Software

Comment

• GreenMoose

Originally posted by Erik
      Making something a "Comment" and creating a "Replacement" are not the same thing. "Replacements" are a way of saying "apple" on the left is similar to "orange" on the right. They are configurable per session.
      yes my bad. The point was I could ignore it by toggling "Ignore unimportant differences".

Anyhow, there isn't a similar thing on the "wish list" to make these configurable per file type? (I think it would be a great feature).

Thanks.

Comment

• Erik
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Replacements are stored with sessions because they only make sense for a specific left file and a specific right file. If you have a Folder Compare session where the same replacements make sense across multiple files, you can open one of those file pairs in the Text Compare, setup the replacements in the "Session Settings" dialog, and switch to "Use for all files within parent session". If you have a scenario which isn't covered, please describe it in detail.
        Erik Scooter Software

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
          Carpal Tunnel
          • Oct 2007

Anyhow, there isn't a similar thing on the "wish list" to make these configurable per file type? (I think it would be a great feature).
          GreenMoose,

You might be interested in this post that I made in response to another user's request to support profiled session settings.
          BC v4.0.7 build 19761
          ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• GreenMoose

Michael> Thanks. That "trick" was a nice workaround.
            (In that post I also noticed that this topic already exists, File Type Session Defaults ).

Originally posted by Erik
            If you have a scenario which isn't covered, please describe it in detail.
            Hrm now when I think of it I think I can solve these cases with file specific grammar rules instead.

Anyhow my scenarios are the following:
            Case 1:
            I diff registry entries Between my Wow6432Node and "normal" node. When I do this I get alot of diffs for the [HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\] vs [HKLM\Software\] nodes.
            I'm not interested in these diffs since I want to synch the node's content, so I have to add a new replacement rule:
            [HKLM\Software\SysWow64\] == [HKLM\Software\]
            and then "Ignore unimportant differences" to see the diffs I'm interested in.

Case 2:
            I diff a special type of log-files with e.g. similar content:
            "[C:\Somepath] Did something" vs "[X:\SomePath] Did something"
            Here I create a replacement rule "[C:\" == "[X:\" so I don't get "important diffs" for the different paths.

Comment

Working...