• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AlexL
    New User
    • Oct 2015

stdin not appearing with bcomp.exe

Hi,

I'm not sure it's a bug, but it was unexpected; bcompare.exe displays stdin with the '-' command line option but bcomp.exe does not. bcomp.exe does not complain, and displays stdin as the file, but there's no content.

Cheers,
    Alex
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello Alex,

Correct. This is due to how BComp.exe passes parameters to BCompare.exe. There is also an issue you haven't hit yet if you are using BCompare.exe without /solo; the call would also have trouble if BCompare.exe already exists. You will want to add /solo to your call to prevent that scenario. Stdin exists at the time the command line is called, but we do not have extra handling for passing cached content from BComp.exe to BCompare.exe, or from BCompare.exe to BCompare.exe as they merge into a single process.

Is Bcomp.exe support something you need for Stdin? Or would BCompare.exe /solo work for you?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• AlexL
      New User
      • Oct 2015

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the info. The back story is we have a source control that is waiting for bcomp[are].exe to exit before returning control to the command line. It waits because it deletes temporary base files afterwards. I was investigating using stdin to avoid the temporary files which would allow BC to remain open for diff perusal + freeing up the spawning command line.

I believe BCompare.exe /solo should work in this instance, although I do prefer tabs

Cheers,
      Alex

Comment

Working...