• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mtardif
    New User
    • Oct 2009

Silent switch broken in BC3?

Hi,

We have recently upgraded from BC2 to BC3 (Version 3.1.7 build 10865, WinXP stations).

We are using script files to maintain local files up to date with the server but with the latest version the silent switch seems to be broken because if it is included on the command line, no sync is done, but no error is generated either.

If the switch is removed, the script runs normally while showing the progress window but this is not really an option because the task is set to run every 5 mins.

Here are the command lines that we've tried (both in the windows scheduler and in a shortcut):

"C:\Program Files\Beyond Compare 3\BCompare.exe" /silent @BCSync.txt or
    "C:\Program Files\Beyond Compare 3\BCompare.exe" @BCSync.txt /silent is not working.

"C:\Program Files\Beyond Compare 3\BCompare.exe" @BCSync.txt works.

Is there a workaround for this issue or a fix planned in a near futur?

Thanks!
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

The silent switch should be working. It will be hard to diagnose the problem since when silent is enabled, it does not give any feedback.

Error messages are not generated if only file level errors (such as Access Denied on specific files) are given. Do you recieve any feedback or errors if you run the script without /silent if you set it to run every 5 minutes and let it run a few times in a row (to check for errors when colliding)?

Do you generate a log with your script? I highly recommend adding a
    log verbose c:\logfile.txt
    as the first line of your script. Then test to see what is generated in the log or if the log is generated.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• rgjordan
      Enthusiast
      • Oct 2007

/slient option not working on linux

I own the windows version and I am trying the linux evaluation for scripting purposes. I'm having the same issue on RedHat linxux 4. I continue to get the popup to my x-windows display with or without the /silent switch.

I also tried with my x-server on my windows workstation shutdown. When I do this, I get "cannot connect to X server xxx.xx.xx.xx:0"

./bcompare /silent @bc-test.bc

Thanks,

Rob

Comment

• Zoë
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Unforuntately the GUI library we use on Linux requires a X11 connection even when using /silent with scripting. As much as I'd like to fix it, it's a very low-level issue, and I don't see it changing any time soon.
        Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• rgjordan
          Enthusiast
          • Oct 2007

So should the /silent option still work to suppress the popup box if I have the x11 server up? With x11 server on the script runs, but I still see the popup.

Thanks,

Rob

Comment

• Chris
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Hi Rob,

On Linux, command line options use dashes instead of forward slashes, so /silent won't do anything. Use -silent instead. Example: bcompare -silent @script.txt
            Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Michael Bulgrien
              Carpal Tunnel
              • Oct 2007

I usually write my command line interfaces to accept either a "/" or a "-" to preface a parameter. That would prevent these kinds of misunderstandings...
              BC v4.0.7 build 19761
              ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Comment

• Zoë
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Which works great on Windows, but not so well when '/' is the path delimiter...
                Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• pablo
                  New User
                  • Apr 2012

-slinet on Linux

Originally posted by Craig
                  Unforuntately the GUI library we use on Linux requires a X11 connection even when using /silent with scripting. As much as I'd like to fix it, it's a very low-level issue, and I don't see it changing any time soon.
                  I wish that I could run a bcompare script on our Linux server with out
                  having to connect to an X11 server. I would like to make bcompare reports
                  part of our standard software build output.

Comment

• bconroy4
                    Visitor
                    • Feb 2012

I see this thread is a little dated, but was curious if any development has been made to accommodate running silent on linux. I too am attempting to run bcompare in the background without having an X server running.

Are there any other potential solutions aside from bcompare changes? We're trying to determine if we can have an X server login when our automation build server connects to the box in order to successfully run the script.

Comment

• Zoë
                      Team Scooter
                      • Oct 2007

Sorry, there hasn't been any progress on this, and there won't be in BC 4 either (not an announcement). I'd like to fix it, but like I said previously, it's a low-level limitation of the GUI framework we're using, and we won't be able to look into replacing that until after we get the Mac version out.
                      Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• zazik
                        Visitor
                        • Sep 2011

Bad design

It looks like the concept of "no-window" is not understood by BC developers since it is not clear why GUI framework is used when "no GUI" is requested.

Comment

• Aaron
                          Team Scooter
                          • Oct 2007

The silent flag can suppress window drawing, but is not a "no GUI" environment. The BC3 application requires X-Windows, even when running as part of an automation using BC Scripting.
                          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...